25.1507, New week? New region! Time to visit South and Central America!

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 31 13:40:26 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-1507. Mon Mar 31 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.1507, New week? New region! Time to visit South and Central America!

Fund Drive 2014
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 09:40:03
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: And we are off to South and Central America!

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-1507.html&submissionid=29533367&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Region 7 | South and Central America | Fund Drive 2014

Oy, tude bem! This week we will explore Central and South America. Let’s get
started!  We’ll begin our journey with a preliminary stop in the great country
of Brazil. Brazil showcases a vast array of unique flora and fauna, and is
home to some 210 languages. Over 180 of these languages are indigenous. With
Brazil’s overwhelming Portuguese assimilation language policies and rapid
urbanization, only about 350,000 people speak an indigenous language, but
there is a good chance you might hear one or two of them as you are perusing
the streets of two of Brazil’s famous neighborhoods…

We’ll begin our tour acquainting ourselves with the historic icon “Cristo
Redentor”. This 98 ft tall statue looks out over the bustling city of Rio de
Janeiro, and can be seen from nearly every location in the city. Cristo
Redentor represents the influence of Christianity on Brazil, and has become a
symbol largely associated with the city of Rio de Janeiro. This statue is
located on Corcovado mountain and is part of the Tijuca Forest National Park.

For all the times you’ve ever heard Sergio Mendes “Girl from Ipanema” and
wondered why her nose was always in the air, you are about to find out, as we
tour this famous Brazilian neighborhood. Ipanema is a word from the Tupi
language which translates in English to “Stinky Lake”. This neighborhood is
where the Bossa Nova sound that stormed the 1960’s.

While listening to the smooth sounds of Brazil’s jazz heritage on the
beautiful shores of Ipanema, for a treat, you can enjoy the sweet chilled
flavors of native brazilian fruit confections from Mil Frutas, a local ice
cream parlor which features unique and exotic flavors of sorbets and ice
creams.

Just down the road, we’ll be visiting one of the most famous beaches in the
world, Copacobana’s Balneario coastline. Balneario stretches nearly 2.5 miles
(4 km). Famed for white sands and clear blue waters, this area is perfect for
lounging in the sun on a breezy Brazilian afternoon.

Last but not least on our trip to Brazil, we’ll take a sneak peak at the
reconstruction of Brazil’s Estádio do Maracanã, the site where the 2014 FIFA
World Cup and 2016 Olympic games are scheduled to take place. The Estadio do
Maracanã was originally built to host the FIFA World Cup in 1950, where Brazil
beat Uruguay for the championship title 2-1. Since the construction of Estádio
do Maracanã, a neighborhood has cropped up around the sports arena. Both the
stadium and neighborhood derive their name from the Tupi/Guarani word Maracanã
(Green Bird) which originally applied to the river running through the area.
Consequently, a population of indigenous people still live in this
neighborhood in Rio. The river is now canaled, and sits with its people in the
shadow the the stadium. As construction ensues to prepare for the upcoming
influx of sports enthusiasts in the upcoming years, the people of Maracanã are
concerned that they may be forced to relocate. We’ll visit Chief Carlos Tucano
to learn more about Maracanã’s history and cultural predicament.

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.