25.1963, Support: Acoustic Phonetics, Clinical Phonetics / United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 2 23:41:28 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-1963. Fri May 02 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.1963, Support: Acoustic Phonetics, Clinical Phonetics / United Kingdom

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Danuta  Allen <danuta at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 19:39:00
From: Jim Scobbie [jscobbie at qmu.ac.uk]
Subject: Acoustic Phonetics, Clinical Phonetics: PhD Student, Queen Margaret University, United Kingdom

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-1963.html&submissionid=31973976&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: Queen Margaret University
Department: CASL Research Centre
Web Address: http://www.qmu.ac.uk/casl/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research,Project Work

Specialty Areas: Phonetics
Acoustic Analysis, Audiology, Language Impairment, Speech Analysis, Speech Sciences

Research in Research in Clinical Audiology, Speech and Language (CASL) / Speech and Hearing Sciences covers a range of typical and clinical topics in speech, hearing, and language.

We accept applications in any of our areas (see contacts below), but particularly, we welcome applications in one of our three priority areas for 2014:

Topic 1:
Clinical Remediation of Speech Disorder Using Electropalatography or Ultrasound Tongue Imaging [BUR14-13].
We have a number of externally-funded projects undertaking clinical research into diagnosis and treatment using one or other of these articulatory techniques, and we welcome applications to take this impactful research forward.

Requirements:
- A qualification in Speech and Language Therapy.

The clinical focus of the research is open.

Contact:
For EPG:
Dr Sara Wood
swood at qmu.ac.uk
or:
Dr Joanne Cleland
jcleland at qmu.ac.uk

Topic 2:
Speech Intelligibility and Variability [BUR14-14].
Intelligibility is essential for fully-functional communication, so Speech and Language Therapists need valid and reliable tools for assessing and monitoring intelligibility. Projects in this area could focus on identification of acoustic or acoustic indicators of intelligibility (e.g. prosody, voice quality or variation in segmental articulation), or on the evaluation of different approaches to intelligibility measurement (e.g. a comparison of human listener judgments and computer-based automatic speech recognition). We have a particular interest in the speech intelligibility and variation of people with Parkinsons, but other clinical populations could be considered.

Requirements:
- A clinical qualification in Speech and Language Therapy would be an advantage.

Contact:
Dr Joan Ma
jma at qmu.ac.uk
or:
Dr Felix Schaeffler
fschaeffler at qmu.ac.uk
or:
Dr Janet Beck
jbeck at qmu.ac.uk

Topic 3:
Speech Articulation in Dialogue with Varied Listeners [BUR14-15].
Theoretical models of speech production can be tested by explicitly making speakers vary their own speech production parameters, or through varying the linguistic structure of the speech, but we know that speakers also intuitively vary their production dynamically with reference to their model of the listener. Much of the existing research into such listener accommodation examines the resulting acoustic output of the speaker. This project will explore speech production differences directly, using articulatory instrumentation, examining relaxed, clear, standard, and vernacular speech in varied listening contexts, including hearing-impaired listeners.

Contact:
Prof James M Scobbie
jscobbie at qmu.ac.uk
or:
Dr Jo White
jwhite at qmu.ac.uk

Other topics:
Proposals relating to any of our core research areas will be considered, with priority given to clinical and clinically-related research.

For Speech Sciences, contact:
jscobbie at qmu.ac.uk

For Language Impairment, contact:
Dr Ann Clark
aclark at qmu.ac.uk

For Audiology, contact:
jwhite at qmu.ac.uk

Full training in the use of relevant experimental and laboratory techniques will be provided if required.

Application Deadline: 19-May-2014

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Mr Fraser Rudge
Queen Margaret University
Musselburgh Scotland EH21 6UU
United Kingdom

Web Address for Applications: http://www.qmu.ac.uk/post_research/bursarycomp.htm

Contact Information:
	Fraser Rudge
researchdegrees at qmu.ac.uk

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.