25.2230, Calls: Applied Linguistics/ Language Learning & Technology (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 21 17:05:51 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-2230. Wed May 21 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.2230, Calls: Applied Linguistics/ Language Learning & Technology (Jrnl)

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 13:05:26
From: Mónica Vidal [llt at hawaii.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-2230.html&submissionid=33164878&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Language Learning & Technology

Call Deadline: 01-Oct-2014

http://llt.msu.edu/issues/june2014/call.pdf

Special 20th Anniversary Issue

In 2016 Language Learning & Technology will be celebrating its 20th year of publication. In honor of that event, we are planning an anniversary "special issue of special issues," revisiting the most popular special issue themes from the past two decades. We triangulated data from a public poll in April, a poll of the editorial board, & the log of downloads from 2013 to arrive at the following themes:

- The Role of Computer Technology in Second Language Acquisition Research
- Computer-Assisted Language Testing
- Learner Autonomy & New Learning Environments
- Technology & the Four Skills
- Technology & Oral Language Development
- Technology & Listening Comprehension
- Technology & Learning to Read
- Technology & Learning to Write

The issue will include two types of contributions for each of the four themes: a review article by an invited expert and a research article selected through the normal peer review process for a total of eight articles. Please click on the above CFP link for the full CFP.

The Role of Computer Technology in Second Language Acquisition Research. This is a broad area that encompasses both the use of technology to improve our understanding of second language acquisition processes and the impact of technology as a mediator in those processes.

Computer-Assisted Language Testing. We are looking for papers based on contemporary implementations of the topics listed in that call as well as new ones such as automated scoring of spoken or written language assessments.

Learner Autonomy and New Learning Environments. As this is a more recent collection, all those topics remain relevant for the purposes of the anniversary issue. We are open to considering other ones as well.

Technology and the Four Skills. Each of these was a well-supported theme during our polls, and rather than select one over the other three, we decided to include all of them. Specifically we are seeking research papers that focus on technology and language learning synthesizing two or more of these skills (e.g., listening and speaking, reading and writing, speaking and listening, or other combinations).

Please consult the LLT Website for general guidelines on submission (http://llt.msu.edu/contrib.html) and research (http://llt.msu.edu/resguide.html).

Send a title and 250-word abstract by October 1, 2014 to llt at hawaii.edu and specify clearly which of the four themes you are proposing your paper for. We will invite a maximum of 5 papers for each theme, & these will go through the standard blind peer review process. Note that only the paper that the editors judge the best for each theme will be included in the anniversary issue. Others meeting LLT publication standards will be published in subsequent issues.

Publication timeline:

October 1, 2014:
Submission deadline for abstracts

October 15, 2014:
Invitation to authors to submit a manuscript

March 1, 2015:
Submission deadline for manuscripts

June 2, 2016:
Publication of special issue