25.2348, FYI: CoLang 2014 Updates

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 29 12:54:48 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-2348. Thu May 29 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.2348, FYI: CoLang 2014 Updates

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva <uliana at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 08:53:38
From: Colleen Fitzgerald [cmfitz at uta.edu]
Subject: CoLang 2014 Updates

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-2348.html&submissionid=33314317&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

We are now less than three weeks away from the kickoff of CoLang 2014, the 2014 Institute on Collaborative Language Research, which takes place in June and July 2014, hosted by The University of Texas at Arlington, with Dr. Colleen Fitzgerald as Director. CoLang, which only occurs once every two years, offers an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students, practicing linguists,  language professionals and indigenous community members to develop and refine skills and approaches to language documentation and revitalization. The Institute is designed to provide an opportunity for a diverse range of participants to become trained in a wide range of skills in language documentation and revitalization.

The institute consists of two parts: the Workshops - two weeks of intensive workshops on practices, principals and models of language documentation and revitalization, followed by a four-week field methods course, working with speakers of select indigenous languages applying hands-on techniques in language documentation. Participants may choose to enroll only in the two-week Workshops.

Workshops: June 16-27 2014

Field Methods/Practicum: June 30 – July 25, 2014.

We have four field methods classes, each of which still has room for additional people to enroll.  The four languages for this year are Alabama (a Muskogean language spoken in Texas), Enya (a Bantu language spoken in the Democratic Reuplic of Congo), Innu (or Cree, an Algonquian language spoken in Canada), and Apoala Mixtec (an Otomanguean language of Mexico).  The Mixtec section will be a Spanish-medium course, so people must have sufficient proficiency in Spanish to do all elicitation and other class work with the speakers.

In order to make CoLang 2014 prices affordable to as many people as we can, we have decided to keep early bird registration prices in effect up until the first day of CoLang 2014, June 16.  Onsite registration will be possible with a cashier’s check or credit card, or a wire transfer made by June 10.  (Contact us for details on a wire transfer.)  Registration is $750 for the two weeks session, and $2250 for the six weeks session.  We still have room in the field methods sections.  We’re also in the process of opening additional second sections in various topics, including Orthography, Grantwriting, Transcription, and Life in Communities, among others.  For housing and/or meal purchases to be guaranteed, they must be purchased and paid in full by Wednesday, June 4.  With participants and instructors numbering around 200 people, representing over 20 different North American tribes and 15 different countries worldwide, we expect a lively and engaging environment for all who attend.  In addition to the many workshops scheduled for registered participants, we will also have a number of public talks on language documentation and revitalization projects, including from First Nations projects in British Columbia, the Chickasaw Language Revitalization Program, Wuqu’ Kawoq in Guatemala, Yunnan Province in China, and northeast India.  CoLang 2014 will feature the Texas-premiere of two movies, Navajo Star Wars (the sci-fi classic dubbed into the Navajo language, with English subtitles), and “Language Healers,” with award-winning director Brian McDermott on hand for a q&a.  Full information on CoLang activities can be found online at http://tinyurl.com/colang2014 and our registration site is at http://tinyurl.com/Register4CoLang , with links to paper registration if needed.

 For more questions, email us at uta2014institute at gmail.com or phone us at 817-272-7608.

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/