25.4581, Calls: Text/Corpus Linguistics/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 14 22:06:40 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4581. Fri Nov 14 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4581, Calls: Text/Corpus Linguistics/UK

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 17:06:15
From: Veronika Koller [v.koller at lancaster.ac.uk]
Subject: Corpus Linguistics 2015

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4581.html&submissionid=35979018&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Corpus Linguistics 2015
Short Title: CL2015

Date: 21-Jul-2015 - 24-Jul-2015
Location: Lancaster, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Andrew Hardie
Meeting Email: cl2015 at lancaster.ac.uk
Web Site: http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/cl2015

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 07-Jan-2015

Meeting Description:

The eighth international Corpus Linguistics conference (CL2015) will be held at Lancaster University from 21-24 July 2015. The main conference will be preceded by a workshop day on Monday 20th July.

This series of conferences began in 2001 with an event celebrating the career of Professor Geoffrey Leech, on the occasion of his retirement. In August of 2014, we reported with great sadness Geoff's sudden death.

By dedicating this eighth conference in the Corpus Linguistics series once again to a celebration of Geoff's life, his career, and his truly remarkable influence on the field, we once more pay tribute to, and commemorate, a remarkable intellect and a sorely-missed colleague and friend.

The goals of the conference are:

- To gather together current and developing research in the study and application of corpus linguistics
- To push the field forwards by promoting dialogue among the many different users of corpora across interconnected sub-disciplines of linguistics – be they descriptive, theoretical, applied or computational
- To explore new challenges both within corpus linguistics, and in the extension of corpus approaches to new fields of study

CL2015 will have three thematic streams and a general programme.

Stream A: A tribute to Geoffrey Leech

For this stream we invite contributions using corpus methods in any of the branches of linguistics with which Geoffrey Leech’s research was especially closely associated, namely:

- Pragmatics
- Stylistics
- Description of English grammar and grammatical change
- Grammatical annotation of corpus texts

Stream B: Discourse, Politics and Society

For this stream we invite contributions in the following areas:

- The use of corpora in discourse analysis
- Corpus approaches to the study of new media
- Applications of corpus approaches in the social sciences and humanities

Stream C: Language learning and teaching

For this stream we invite contributions in the following areas:

- Learner corpus research
- Corpus-based work in English language teaching, including ESP and EAP
- Use of corpora in second language acquisition studies
- Data-driven learning
- Development of learner materials

General Programme

For the general programme, we invite contributions on as broad and inclusive a basis as possible. The areas in which we particularly welcome submissions include but are not limited to:

- Corpus methodology:
- Theoretical corpus linguistics:
- Lexis and lexicon:
- Sociolinguistics, language variation and applied linguistics

Plenary Speakers:

- Douglas Biber (Northern Arizona University, USA)
- Sylviane Granger (Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium)
- Michaela Mahlberg (University of Nottingham, UK)
- Alan Partington (Università di Bologna, Italy)

Key Dates:

- 16 January 2015: Earlybird registration opens
- 24 January 2015: All abstract review outcomes will be returned by this date
- 30 March 2015: End of earlybird registration
- 21 June 2015: End of main registration
- 21 June 2015: Final deadline for cancellation with refund of registration fees

Call for Papers:

We invite submission of abstracts for papers, posters and panels on any topic relevant to the conference themes.

For this conference, we are requesting extended abstracts (750-1500 words), as we do not plan to produce a volume of conference proceedings. All abstracts will be peer-reviewed by the conference programme committee.

Paper presentations will consist of a 20 minute talk followed by 10 minutes for questions and discussion. Please note: paper submissions should present either complete research, or research in progress where at least some substantial results have been achieved. Work in progress which has yet to produce results can instead be submitted as a poster abstract.

Submissions for panel discussions should take the form of a single 1500 word abstract on behalf of all speakers to be on the panel. The abstract should include a note to specify whether the panel is intended to be 1 hour or 1.5 hours in length.

Submissions for poster presentations should be shorter (400-750 words). We especially welcome poster abstracts that (a) report on innovative research that is in its very earliest phases (b) report on new software or corpus data resources.

We especially encourage abstract submissions from early-career researchers, including postgraduate research students and postdoctoral researchers.

All abstracts must be submitted via the conference website; the submission system is now live (see http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/cl2015/call.php ). Details on how to submit an abstract to a specific conference stream are available on the website.