25.4681, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics/Spain

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 20 22:27:45 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4681. Thu Nov 20 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4681, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics/Spain

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 17:27:38
From: Mar Gutiérrez-Colon [mar.gutierrezcolon at urv.cat]
Subject: XVIIth International CALL Research Conference “Task Design and CALL”

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4681.html&submissionid=35981117&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: XVIIth International CALL Research Conference “Task Design and CALL”

Date: 06-Jul-2015 - 08-Jul-2015
Location: Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona, Spain
Contact Person: Jozef Colpaert
Meeting Email: jozef.colpaert at uantwerpen.be
Web Site: http://wwwa.fundacio.urv.cat/congressos/call-conference-2015/

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2015

Meeting Description:

In recent CALL articles, conference presentations and project proposals, we notice a renewed interest in activities, and less emphasis on technology or theoretical pedagogy. These activities, elective or compulsory, can be subdivided into three partly overlapping categories: (a) focus-on-form tasks which can be defined as meaningful tasks in which the focus on particular forms is tightly embedded; (b) focus-on-meaning tasks which should lead to communication (CMC approach) or any kind of non-linguistic outcome (TBLT approach); and (c) form-focused exercises that focus on isolated forms, such as improved and enriched (drill-and-practice) exercises.

During this conference we will discuss the design process behind these tasks: How do we decide on task types? How do we shape them? How do we monitor and evaluate them?

Call for Proposals:

XVIIth International CALL Research Conference “Task Design and CALL”
Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona (Spain), 6-8 July 2015

Submitted presentations should address questions such as:

How do we design authentic, meaningful, useful and enjoyable tasks?
To what extent do tasks depend on context?
What can CALL learn from TBLT?
What can TBLT learn from CALL?
What affordances and limitations of technology should be considered in task design?
How does technology impact on non-technological tasks?
What are the specific challenges for LMOOCs, OERs, Interactive Whiteboards, Student Response Systems, Synchronous Collaborative Writing Tools, Serious Games… ?
How do our tasks fit in with Complex Dynamic Systems Theory, Socioconstructivist environments, Flipped Classroom approaches …?
What is the role of corrective feedback in tasks?
What are the consequences for Learner Analytics?
Which tasks are best suited for which skills?
Which tasks are most appropriate for developing intercultural competence?