25.4740, Calls: Ling & Lit, Socioling, Lang Acquisition, Historical Ling, Cognitive Sci/USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 25 02:49:08 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4740. Mon Nov 24 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4740, Calls: Ling & Lit, Socioling, Lang Acquisition, Historical Ling, Cognitive Sci/USA

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 21:48:43
From: Celia Zamora [graphsy.georgetown at gmail.com]
Subject: Graduate Portuguese and Hispanic Symposium

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4740.html&submissionid=35982417&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Graduate Portuguese and Hispanic Symposium
Short Title: GRAPHSY

Date: 10-Apr-2015 - 11-Apr-2015
Location: Georgetown, Washington, D.C., USA
Contact Person: Celia Zamora
Meeting Email: graphsy.georgetown at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Historical Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Ling & Literature; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2015

Meeting Description:

8th annual GRAPHSY (Graduate Portuguese and Hispanic Symposium)
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Georgetown University

Bridging the Gap:
Intersections, Convergences, and Dialogues
April 10-11, 2015

This year’s conference provides a forum in which to share research that bridges gaps within and between the fields of Spanish and Portuguese Literature/ & Culture and Linguistics. GRAPHSY 2015 will build on this theme by examining the ways in which research crosses physical, linguistic, and psychological divides. These breaches can be geographical or ideological, gaps in our knowledge or students’ knowledge, or areas of research that have not been fully explored. We aim to narrow gaps in our knowledge and form connections between individual disciplines.

Call for Papers:

Deadline: January 31, 2015

The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at Georgetown University welcomes submissions for the 8th annual Graduate Portuguese and Hispanic Symposium (GRAPHSY) within the theme Bridging the Gap: Intersections, Convergences, and Dialogues. We invite presentations that explore connections between domains of literature and linguistics, create links between various fields, and foster interdisciplinary exchange.

We welcome presentations and works in progress related to, but not limited to the following topics:

Literature:

- Dialogue between the past and present through rewrites and/or adaptation
- (Post)colonial (re-)readings
- Visual and performing arts and their challenges to writing
- Pop culture in dialogue with the canon
- Tensions in Latin American and/or Peninsular Literature
- The Transatlantic focus as a space for negotiation and change
- Post-national literatures
- Cultural representation in film
- Travel literature
- The study/strengths/challenges of translation
- Narratives of social justice

Linguistics:

- Bilingualism / Multilingualism
- Language and technology
- Acquisition (L1, L2, L3, etc.)
- Connections between research and pedagogy
- Languages and immersion/study abroad
- Cognitive linguistics / Psycholinguistics
- Heritage languages
- Linguistic policy and practice
- Language contact and negotiation between languages and culture
- Theoretical linguistics
- Discourse analysis
- Historical linguistics

Please send a 250-word abstract (as a PDF or Word doc attachment) by January 31, 2015 to graphsy.georgetown at gmail.com. Indicate in the subject line whether the proposal is for Linguistics or Literature. Abstracts may be submitted in Spanish, Portuguese or English.

In the body of your email, please include the following information:

- Full name
- Academic title
- University affiliation
- Contact information (Email)
- If the proposal is for Linguistics or Literature and a few keywords (e.g., LINGUISTICS: L2 Spanish phonology; study abroad; motivation)

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/