25.4792, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Chenope

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 27 20:23:40 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4792. Thu Nov 27 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4792, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Chenope

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 15:23:32
From: Elizabeth Charnock [ebc at chenope.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4792.html&submissionid=35983037&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Chenope
Job Location: California, USA (Telecommute)
Web Address: www.chenope.com
Job Title: Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Computational Linguist Wanted

Chenope is a brand new startup founded by the same team who started Cataphora.
 We are looking to add a very high caliber computational linguist to our
founding team.  This is currently an equity-only position, however Chenope is
already starting to take in some revenue, so this should not remain the case
indefinitely.   Chenope is based in Northern California, however our team is
already somewhat geographically distributed and it is not necessary for you to
be in CA to apply.

Requirements

- Must have a history of doing significantly innovative CL work involving real
world data and problems.
- Ideally, you can code in Java and/or various scripting languages such as
Python.
- PhD preferred, but not required; we mostly care what you can actually do.
- Ability to communicate relevant concepts to customers a big plus.
- Some field linguistics background / significant experience in large
annotation projects is desirable, ideally with cross-language projects
- Ideally will speak at least 2-3 major languages in addition to English.
- Prior startup experience preferred, but not required.
- You must be a U.S. resident ultimately seeking citizenship, and preferably a
U.S. citizen.

If the candidate has management potential, we will mentor you with the aim of
your managing an R&D group of linguists of various disciplines down the road.

You must be available at least 10-20 hours a week on average for the next N
many months, and subsequently be looking for full-time employment.

While no one can ever promise that a startup will succeed, we can promise a
varying diet of highly interesting, cutting edge work that would be very hard
to match elsewhere. Plus a very transparent and empowering environment that
will allow you to develop your business understanding and skills.  But perhaps
most importantly, you can be part of creating something brand new from the
ground up. (Our last startup, Cataphora, took in ~$100M in revenue, made
significant contributions to a number of different disciplines, and was
featured in many big media outlets - all without any capital investment
whatsoever.)

Application Deadline: 30-Jan-2015 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: work at chenope.com
Contact Information:
	CEO Elizabeth Charnock
	Email: ebc at chenope.com