25.4072, Calls: Syntax/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 16 03:50:51 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4072. Wed Oct 15 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4072, Calls: Syntax/UK

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 23:50:21
From: Theresa Biberauer [mtb23 at cam.ac.uk]
Subject: 4th Cambridge Comparative Syntax Conference

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4072.html&submissionid=35968257&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 4th Cambridge Comparative Syntax Conference
Short Title: CamCoS 4

Date: 07-May-2015 - 09-May-2015
Location: Cambridge, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Theresa Biberauer
Meeting Email: mtb23 at cam.ac.uk
Web Site: http://recos-dtal.mml.cam.ac.uk/conference/camcos4

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax

Call Deadline: 16-Jan-2015

Meeting Description:

CamCoS 4: Null Arguments and Phi-features

After the success of the three previous CamCoS conferences (see: http://www-falcon.csx.cam.ac.uk/site/RECOS/conference), we are happy to announce that CamCoS 4 is going to take place on 7-9 May 2015.

The first half day will feature talks by Cambridge-based researchers, followed by a full-day general session on comparative generative syntax. The final day of the conference will feature a themed session with invited speakers on the topic of variation in null arguments and phi-features. Abstracts for the general session may, but need not, pick up on the conference theme. In relation to the themed session, the central questions we would like to address are (i) to what extent it is possible to provide a formal account of cross-linguistic variation in the domain of null arguments, and to what extent any such account rests on the formal distribution of phi-features, and (ii) what kinds of crosslinguistic variation the distribution of phi-features seems to play a role in.

The invited speakers for CamCoS 4 are:

Pilar Barbosa (Minho)
Maia Duguine (Cambridge/University of the Basque Country)
Ruth Kramer (Georgetown)
Shigeru Miyagawa (MIT)
Mamoru Saito (Nanzan)
Martina Wiltschko (British Columbia)

Call for Papers:

For the general comparative syntax session on 8 May, we invite abstracts for 30-minute presentations on any topic in comparative generative syntax as well as topics relating to this year’s special theme (Null Arguments and Phi Features; see the project website for more details). We particularly welcome papers explicitly addressing parametric issues and/or offering comparative analyses (synchronic or diachronic) of previously un(der)studied languages and/or phenomena, and papers concerned with “bigger picture” questions, such as what insights modern comparative generative syntax might offer in relation to linguistic typology and syntax-interface mappings. We also encourage papers concerned with methodologies for modern comparative generative syntax.

Anonymous abstracts should not exceed two pages (12-point Times New Roman font, with single spacing and margins of at least 2.54cm/1 inch), including examples and references. They should be uploaded in pdf format via EasyAbstracts (http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/camcos4). The submission deadline is Friday, 16 January 2014.

Please see the conference and project website (http://www-falcon.csx.cam.ac.uk/site/RECOS/conference/camcos4) or contact Theresa Biberauer (mtb23 at cam.ac.uk) for more information.