25.4130, Calls: English, Applied Ling, Lang Acquisition, Psycholinguistics/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 17 23:07:43 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4130. Fri Oct 17 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4130, Calls: English, Applied Ling, Lang Acquisition, Psycholinguistics/Poland

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 19:07:30
From: Dagmara Gałajda [dagmara.galajda at gmail.com]
Subject: 27th International Conference on Foreign / Second Language Acquisition

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4130.html&submissionid=35969557&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 27th International Conference on Foreign / Second Language Acquisition
Short Title: ICFSLA

Date: 21-May-2015 - 23-May-2015
Location: Szczyrk, Poland
Contact Person: Dagmara Gałajda
Meeting Email: szczyrkconference2015 at gmail.com
Web Site: http://uranos.cto.us.edu.pl/~icfsla/smys/index.htm

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2015

Meeting Description:

The Institute of English at the University of Silesia is pleased to invite you to the 27th International Conference on Foreign and Second Language Acquisition (ICSFLA). Following our tradition, the conference will focus on a specific theme in researching second language acquisition and foreign language learning. The leading theme of the 27th ICSFLA is:

Positive psychology in second/foreign language acquisition and learning

The chosen theme of the 27th conference is fairly new as positive psychology, a branch of general psychology, is just over twenty years old. Not much has been done in terms of its application in teaching and learning second/foreign languages. Positive psychology, first the movement and now a legitimate branch of psychology (to be distinguished from self-help and pop psychology) derives from the humanistic approaches of, among others,  Abraham Maslow and Jeremy Bruner, and Gertrude Moskowitz in second/foreign language learning and teaching. Its main aim is to “to understand, test, discover and promote the factors that allow individuals and communities to thrive” (source: Positive Psychology Manifesto, Sheldon et al., 2000). Positive psychology is interested in three main areas of study: the positive characteristics and trait of people (here: teachers and learners), positive emotions and feelings, and the role of contextual factors such as environment, and in particular, institutions (e.g. school) and their functions. Thus, positive psychology topics embrace the following areas of study and their applications: “flourishing, happiness & eudemonia, hope, gratitude, interest, joy, wellbeing, resiliency, hardiness, and the signature strengths of learners” (Gregersen, MacIntyre & Mercer 2014, in preparation). So, in the case of positive psychology in SLA research, possible topics can focus on positivity as expressed by affectivity in the processes involved, motivational and attitudinal factors, the strengths of teachers and learners as facilitative aspects of teaching/learning processes, as well as educational institutions and their functions enabling success, the well-being and development of both teachers and learners.

We are pleased to announce that the following eminent scholars working in the field of second language acquisition and positive psychology (indeed forerunners in the field) have kindly agreed to present plenary talks at our conference:

Prof. Janusz Arabski , University of Silesia, Katowice/Sosnowiec
Prof. Tammy Gregersen, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa
Prof. Hanna Komorowska, University of Social Sciences and Humanities/University of Warsaw, Warsaw
Prof. Peter MacIntyre, Cape Breton University, Nova Scotia
Prof. Sarah Mercer, University of Graz, Graz
Prof. Rebecca Oxford, Professor Emerita and Distinguished Scholar-Teacher, University of Maryland
Prof. Simone Pfenninger, University of Zurich, Zurich
Prof. Alison Phipps, University of Glasgow, Glasgow
Prof. David Singleton, Pannonia University, Veszprem

The conference will be held in our usual place, the holiday resort of Szczyrk in the Beskidy Mountains, southern Poland. The dates are 21nd to 23th May 2015 (arrival on Wednesday the 20thMay is recommended). The conference venue will be the Hotel META. All conference participants will be accommodated there. The details concerning the conference fee will be announced in the second circular in February 2015.

Call for Papers:

In the case of positive psychology in SLA research, possible topics can focus on positivity as expressed by affectivity in the processes involved, motivational and attitudinal factors, the strengths of teachers and learners as facilitative aspects of teaching/learning processes, as well as educational institutions and their functions enabling success, the well-being and development of both teachers and learners.
To cater for the interests of our conference participants,expressed in previous years, multilingualism and multilingual language acquisition (MLA) and research in this fast-developing area, will also be offered this time as a special section. Thus we would like to invite scholars working in this area to join us again to give presentations on theoretical and empirical studies of these multilingual issues.
However, if what we offer does not fully satisfy your academic interests, you are warmly invited to share with us your empirical research results in other areas of second language acquisition/learning. The proposals for these presentations will also be reviewed and considered fort acceptance as presentations at the conference.

Over the past three years we have also been working with Ph.D. students giving them a chance to share their thesis proposals and research ideas with academic facilitators and other PhD students. We plan to hold a continuation of this Ph.D. workshop, as the response to it has been overwhelmingly positive. The event will be chaired by Prof. Danuta Gabryś-Barker (University of Silesia) with the participation of other facilitators and scholars experienced in the supervision of doctoral projects in second language acquisition (to be announced). The workshop is open to all Ph.D. students in SLA/MLA, but also in TEFL/TESOL. Prospective participants are asked to send a 500-word description of their Ph.D. thesis proposal for a 15-minute presentation (together with  questions they might want to raise about their work), which will be followed by a feedback discussion with the facilitators and the other workshop participants.

All those wishing to contribute papers or just to attend presentations and the Ph.D. workshop(s) are welcome to participate in the conference. Presentation abstracts should be submitted by the 31st January 2015 to our email address: szczyrkconference2015 at gmail.com.The notification of acceptance will be sent out by the 20 February 2015.

The registration form, including the presentation abstract, should be sent as an attachment to the above email address. Additionally, to facilitate the procedure of building the conference database, all participants are kindly asked to type their entry details into an Excel document (baza2015.xls), filling in all the columns (A-H) in the second row below the blue headings, and send it back as a separate attachment, changing its name to SurnameName.xls (in Excel 2003 format). Both the documents necessary for registration can be downloaded from our webpage.

Organising Committee:

Danuta Gabryś-Barker
Adam Wojtaszek
Dagmara Gałajda