25.4183, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 23 03:37:48 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4183. Wed Oct 22 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4183, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics/UK

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:37:31
From: Prithvi Shrestha [pnshrestha at gmail.com]
Subject: Employability and Transferability in EAP and ESP

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4183.html&submissionid=35970297&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Employability and Transferability in EAP and ESP
Short Title: IATEFL ESP SIG PCE 2014

Date: 10-Apr-2015 - 10-Apr-2015
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Prithvi Shrestha
Meeting Email: espsig at iatefl.org

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 21-Nov-2014

Meeting Description:

IATEFL Annual conference Manchester 2015

English for Specific Purposes Special Interest Group (ESP SIG) & BALEAP joint Pre-Conference Event

Theme: Employability and transferability in EAP and ESP

Employability is a major focus in almost all government policies all over the world. As a result, all education providers including vocational and higher education institutions are expected to ensure that their curricula meet employability skills needs in the industry. However, employability may mean different things in different contexts. In the current global job market, communication skills is considered one of the key employability skills and thus the ability to use English language in employment is a necessity given the global status of the language.

In this context, it is important to explore what role English language proficiency (academic or occupational) plays in employability and how students transfer such proficiency from EAP and ESP to their employment. Addressing this theme of Employability and transferability in EAP and ESP, the IATEFL ESP SIG is organizing its next Pre-Conference Event jointly with BALEAP.

The PCE aims to explore some key questions in the field such as How important is ESP for new employees or is more general EFL skills all that employers are looking for? How can universities who need to develop students' EAP help students to transfer their language skills to English for Occupational/ Professional Purposes?

This is the IATEFL ESP SIG's annual Pre-Conference Event (PCE) prior to the main conference of the IATEFL. We expect that our PCE theme will bring together a diverse range of researchers and practitioners in professional and academic English to share their views, and practices which are applicable to other EAP and ESP contexts.

Call for Papers:

Format of the PCE:

We intend to have a more interactional mode throughout the day as we did last year.

Submissions can be in the form of papers (30 min), workshop (45 min), a panel (60 min). All different types of presentations will be given a Q&A session at the end to increase what we can learn from each other.

The presentations and the discussions at this PCE are intended to be a refresher session for well-established ESP practitioners, and an awareness-raising ‘eye-opener’ for those who are embarking on a career in ESP.

Every effort will be made to further disseminate the findings from key papers via a post-conference publication.

The paper proposal should follow the standard IATEFL conference proposal format (abstract: 50-60 words & summary: 200-250 words). Sample proposals from previous ESP SIG PCEs can be found here:

http://bit.ly/15TR1q6

Please submit your proposal to Aysen Guven  (aysen.guven at britishcouncil.org.tr ), and Prithvi Shrestha (pnshrestha at gmail.com).

Deadline for proposals: 21 November 2014

For more details please get in touch with:

Aysen Guven & Prithvi Shrestha
Joint Coordinators, IATEFL ESP SIG