25.4261, Software: Phon 2

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 28 02:08:08 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-4261. Mon Oct 27 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.4261, Software: Phon 2

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Damir Cavar <damir at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:07:50
From: Yvan Rose [yrose at mun.ca]
Subject: Phon 2

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-4261.html&submissionid=35970437&topicid=13&msgnumber=1

Phon 2 Public Release

It is with great pleasure that we are now introducing the second generation of
Phon. Phon 2 brings together two of the most important areas of empirical
investigation in phonology, as it integrates transcript-based analyses of
phonological data with the facilities for acoustic analysis provided by Praat.

Brief description

Phon is a publicly-funded, open-source software program for the analysis of
phonology and phonological development. Phon 2 improves on the functions
offered in previous versions of the application. Among other features, we now
have redesigned approaches to IPA Lookup (with support for both IPA
dictionaries and transliteration) and Find & Replace (which now incorporates
support for phonological and regular expressions), streamlined the layout of
Record Data, and added new features, including a support system to assist the
ever-important task of data anonymization.

Through our integration of many functions available via Praat, we have
streamlined many tasks involved in the preparation of data for acoustic
analysis. The user can now:

* Import existing TextGrids into Phon sessions
* Generate TextGrids from existing Phon records
* Visualize TextGrid and spectrogram data directly within Phon
* Send TextGrids to Praat for editing
* Run speech analysis functions directly from the Phon Query menu
* Export speech measurement data for further analysis in other applications

In this initial release, Phon 2 provides support for formant, pitch, and
intensity analyses. Future versions will incorporate more analyses, for
example of durational data (e.g. consonant/vowel length; VOT; …).

Download

You can download this new version of Phon at www.phon.ca
(Due to technical issues specific to the Linux platform, we will need a few
additional weeks in order to release Phon 2 for Linux.)
Keeping with the communal nature of this project, we invite you to submit your
requests as well. We also welcome questions and feedback on every aspect of
Phon, as we look forward to improving this initial release in close
collaboration with our users.

Special thanks

We would like to express very special thanks to Paul Boersma. Without his
generous help and support, it would have been much more difficult to implement
the interactions between Phon and Praat which underly many of the new
functions in Phon 2. We are also thankful to our close collaborators at
Carnegie Mellon University, Brian MacWhinney, Leonid Spektor, and Franklin
Chen, for their continuous support as we continue to improve and add new
facilities for the CHILDES/PhonBank database system. This collaborative
project is funded by a grant from the National Institutes of Health.

Kindest regards,

Yvan Rose & Gregory Hedlund

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition
                     Phonetics
                     Phonology