25.3633, Internships: Timeline Labs

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 17 14:45:21 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-3633. Wed Sep 17 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.3633, Internships: Timeline Labs

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Danuta  Allen <danuta at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:44:35
From: Erika Varis [erikavaris at timelinelabs.com]
Subject: Computational Linguist Intern

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-3633.html&submissionid=35958717&topicid=15&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Timeline Labs
Department: Research & Data
Web Address: http://www.timelinelabs.com

Type of Work: NLP

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Phonology
                     Syntax
                     Text/Corpus Linguistics

Voluntary
Internship Location: Santa Monica, California, USA
Minimum Education Level: MA
At Timeline Labs, we process large volumes of social media data to discover
content and provide interesting and actionable insights for our customers.

We are looking for a computational linguist intern to work on problems in
analyzing and extracting meaningful information from social media, and in
particular Twitter, data. Possible projects would include text normalization,
particularly for creative spellings, numbers and letters representing
non-numeric words, abbreviations, auto-correct mistakes, paraphrasing, or
detection of types of tweets via recurring language. We are also open to
longer term academic collaborations with graduate researchers, for example
including outside advisory research guidance and/or committee support for
those working on their doctoral thesis, if desired.

Requirements:
- current student of Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, or Computer
Science working on linguistics problems;
- proficiency in at least 1 programming language such as Python, Java, C/C++,
or similar.

Desired:
- current graduate student in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, or
Computer Science working on linguistics problems;
- useful areas of linguistic study include: Phonetics/Phonology, Syntax,
American English dialects;
- proficiency in Python;
- experience with NLTK.

Telecommuting is an option.

Timeline Labs’ platform enables our customers to discover and curate content
from social media, display it on the web and television, and provide
measurement of trends and detailed insights on what is happening, all in
real-time.

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:
	Dr. Erika Varis
	Email: erikavaris at timelinelabs.com