25.3801, Calls: Ling & Literature/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 29 16:57:51 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-3801. Mon Sep 29 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.3801, Calls: Ling & Literature/USA

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 12:57:19
From: Claire Cooley [jiljadidconf at gmail.com]
Subject: Jil Jadid 2015

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-3801.html&submissionid=35962237&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Jil Jadid 2015

Date: 27-Feb-2015 - 28-Feb-2015
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Contact Person: Claire Cooley
Meeting Email: jiljadidconf at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Ling & Literature

Call Deadline: 15-Nov-2014

Meeting Description:

The Department of and Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas at Austin are happy to announce the 5th Annual Jil Jadid ''New Generation'' Conference in Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish Literature and Linguistics, a graduate student conference to be held at the University of Texas at Austin, February 27-28, 2015. For the past four Februaries, Jil Jadid has featured topics in Arabic literature and linguistics. This year we are excited to expand its scope to include Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish literature and linguistics.

Jil Jadid is a graduate student conference that aims to provide a forum for young scholars spread across a variety of disciplines to come together, share ideas and research, and discuss the future of their respective fields. This is especially critical as they move forward in their careers and come to represent the eponymous new generation of scholars engaging with the Middle East and its cultures.
For the past four Februaries, graduate students from a wide range of universities, both domestic and international, have assembled in Austin to set the tone for Arabic studies in the twenty-first century. The ongoing positive feedback we have received from these past conferences prompts us once again to assemble with the same goal. This year, we are pleased to bring together our colleagues not only in Arabic studies, but also in Hebrew, Persian, Turkish in order to facilitate a productive and interdisciplinary exchange of new ideas.

Fostering fruitful, engaging, and innovative dialogue remains our topmost priority. The conference will feature keynote speeches in linguistics and literature, as well as a professional development panel offered by University of Texas faculty. In addition to individual presentations, the conference will highlight explicit opportunities for participants to discuss their collective vision for the development of their fields. More details will be announced as the conference dates approach.

The 2015 Jil Jadid Conference is sponsored by the University of Texas at Austin's Department of Middle Eastern Studies, Center for Middle Eastern Studies, the Arabic Flagship Program, Department of Linguistics, Department of French and Italian, Program in Comparative Literature, Department of History, and the Graduate School.

Call for Papers:

Topics:

All papers treating topics in Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish literature (both classical and modern) and linguistics (of all subfields, including applied linguistics) will gladly be considered. We welcome presentations in English, Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish, with the request that an English summary be prepared for any papers to be presented in languages other than English. In addition to original research, we also encourage state-of-the-field papers that provide a focused overview of specific subfields and propose new avenues of research in the chosen area.

Papers to be presented at other conferences are more than welcome, as we wish to provide a forum for students to further develop and refine their research.

Abstracts:

Applicants may submit abstracts of no more than a single-spaced page with 12-pt font and 1-inch margins (not including references). Abstracts longer than one page will not be considered.