26.1731, Indo-European; Historical Linguistics: Startling Allegations Rock Historical Linguistics Community

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 1 14:58:19 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1731. Wed Apr 01 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1731, Indo-European; Historical Linguistics: Startling Allegations Rock Historical Linguistics Community

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 10:54:50
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

 Dear Subscribers, Linguists, Language Lovers, and News Junkies,

We at the LINGUIST List strive to provide you with the most up-to-date
information on the field. You are familiar with our listings of current and
upcoming conferences as well as open job searches and calls for papers.
On occasion, we report on other current events as they unfold. Today, we’ve
dedicated an entry in our blog to covering a recent controversy:

BLOOMINGTON, Indiana – It has been an exciting week for the Indo-Europeanist
community. While Monday saw the announcement of Bob’s Law, which derives the
modern English Pez dispenser from the Proto-Indo-European *pesd-, today’s news
marks a more controversial chapter.

Recently uncovered documents suggest Jacob Grimm may have forged evidence to
support some of his theories...

Read the full text here: http://blog.linguistlist.org/?p=2166

Please support the LINGUIST List Fund Drive 2015 with a contribution:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Thank you!

Your LINGUIST List Team