26.1811, Jobs: Mandarin Chinese; English; Japanese; Phonetics; Phonology: TTS Linguist, Amazon.com (Ivona Software)
The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST
linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Apr 5 22:55:10 UTC 2015
LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1811. Sun Apr 05 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.
Subject: 26.1811, Jobs: Mandarin Chinese; English; Japanese; Phonetics; Phonology: TTS Linguist, Amazon.com (Ivona Software)
Moderators: linguist at linguistlist.org (Damir Cavar, Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Anthony Aristar, Helen Aristar-Dry, Sara Couture)
************* LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive *************
Please support the LL editors and operation with a donation at:
Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 18:55:01
From: Marco Nicolis [nicolism at amazon.com]
Subject: Mandarin Chinese; English; Japanese; Phonetics; Phonology: TTS Linguist, Amazon.com (Ivona Software), Gdansk, Poland
University or Organization: Amazon.com (Ivona Software)
Job Location: Gdansk, Poland
Job Title: TTS linguist: Mandarin Chinese | Japanese | UK English
Job Rank: Other; TTS linguists
Specialty Areas: Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
This posting is for three similar positions targeting three different
languages: UK English, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese.
As a Linguist you will work alongside Software Developers who are experts in
speech synthesis and related fields to define and fulfill linguistic data
needs. You are expected to have solid knowledge of theoretical linguistics, in
particular phonology/phonetics. You will be working on a variety of tasks to
improve natural language processing of TTS (text-to-speech). You will
collaborate with a Software Developer with linguistic expertise throughout the
whole language and voice building process at Ivona/Amazon.
Project duration: 9-18 months, with the possibility of converting the position
to a permanent role.
The tasks include:
- Annotating and reviewing linguistic data.
- Creating accurate phonetic transcriptions for the target language.
- Creating natural language test cases for natural language processing
- Labeling text with semantic, syntactic and morphological features
- Annotating lexicon entries according to guidelines.
- QA of TTS voices and linguistic data.
- Native speaker of the target language.
- Fluent in English.
- Degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics or similar.
- Knowledge of the phonetics and phonology of the target language.
- Solid communication skills.
- Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new
technologies related to foreign languages, linguistics, phonetics, phonology
and language technology.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work
- Comfort with multiple computing platforms (Unix, Mac, Windows).
- Knowledge of command line tools under Unix.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python).
- Knowledge of software version control tools (e.g. Git)
The candidate can work from one of the following Amazon offices: Poland
(Gdansk) (preferred), UK (Cambridge).
For additional information about our technology please visit:
Please apply at the following links:
UK English: apply via email
Application Deadline: 31-May-2015 (Open until filled)
Email: nicolism at amazon.com
LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1811
More information about the LINGUIST