26.1879, Fund Drive 2015: Computational Linguistics Steals First Place in Subfield Challenge!

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 8 21:00:00 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1879. Wed Apr 08 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1879, Fund Drive 2015: Computational Linguistics Steals First Place in Subfield Challenge!

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 16:55:24
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

 Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers, Supporters, and Friends,

We are pleased to share that we are almost at the $30,000 mark! Will you help us reach that number today by donating? However, we are still over $50,000 away from our goal. Making that goal is VITAL to the Linguist List operation—without it, we cannot continue.

As a reminder, we have several donation benefits you can enjoy no matter how much you donate. Along with supporting LINGUIST, you can use your donation to help your university, business, subfield, country, or region in our
challenges!

In our Subfield Challenge, with one very incredible donation, computational linguistics has taken the top spot and is not dominating! Together, computational linguistics have donated over $6,395! Syntax is in second place with $3,696 in donations, and sociolinguistics in third with $2,683! We challenge ALL subfields to hit these numbers, and for these three to keep fighting for the top spots!

Please visit http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/subfield/ for a full list!

In our University Challenge, Indiana University Bloomington holds the lead with donations totaling $2,150 with 19 individual donors and Stanford University in second with donations totaling $1,280 with 21 individual donors.

In the past two days, we’ve received donations from University of South Carolina, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, University of Melbourne, Sonoma State University, University of Victoria, Seoul National University, University College London, University of Florida, University of Sheffield, Coventry University, Oakland University, Brandeis University, University of Illinois, University of Stuttgart, Lehigh University, International Biblical Training, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, Bielefeld University, University of Washington, Bar Ilan University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University at Buffalo, El Colegio de México, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Institut für Linguistik, Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität, University of Edinburgh, University of Sussex, University of Basel, CASTL, University of Tromsø – The Arctic University of Norway, and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign!

Thank you all!

Please visit http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/university/ for a full list!

In our Business Challenge, we are finally seeing some action!
1. Google, Inc ($4,000)
2. Microsoft Natural Language Group ($200)

We thank both companies for their generosity!

We also have our two new challenges—our Region Challenge and Country Challenge!

In our Region Challenge, the top five rank as follows:

1. North America (204 donors)
2. Europe (93 donors)
3. Asia (13 donors)
4. Australia (6 donors)
5. Middle East (4 donors)

In our Country Challenge, the top five rank as follows:

1. United States of America (191 donors)
2. Germany (30 donors)
3. United Kingdom (19 donors)
4. Canada (11 donors)
5. Spain (7 donors)

Please visit http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/region/ and http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/country/ for full lists!

To make a donation and help your subfield, university, business, region, or country win, please visit http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/.

Thank you all for your support, and please help spread the word about Fund Drive 2015! We can use all the support we can get!

Sincerely,
The LINGUIST List Team