26.1893, What Makes LINGUIST List So Special?

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 9 17:37:47 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1893. Thu Apr 09 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1893, What Makes LINGUIST List So Special?

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 13:34:41
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: What Makes LINGUIST List So Special?

 Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers, Readers, Users, and Followers,

There are many very important and interesting moderated lists for linguists on the internet that allow you to quickly post information about a conference, a job opening, a new version of some software, or a question related to some issue. All list moderators check whether the submitted message is relevant for the particular audience before they approve its dissemination. We at LINGUIST List check whether the message would be relevant for the GLOBAL linguistic community, independent of a specific linguistic domain or sub-field.

We at LINGUIST List believe that it is in your interest to have all submissions double-checked and approved, links to pages checked, content edited to avoid embarrassment for the author or the readers. We believe that having human editors, and not just moderators, serves all of us best in a professional and academic environment. LINGUIST List is the only such service that provides moderation and careful editing of submissions—for linguists, by linguists.

We believe that checking publisher's announcements or conference calls is in the interest of all of us to make sure that these announcements are serious and not predatory. We check every announcement by a publisher or a conference organizer. We verify the address and website, check whether it is blacklisted in common registries of predatory publishers, and send feedback to these registries, if we identify a predatory publisher.

We also believe that the information that you submit should not be just sent out and forgotten. We help you by adding information to clarify your posts, to change details, extend deadlines, add programs to your conference calls, or close a job advertisement. Our editors receive on average five such requests each per day, to change some announcement, correct settings in an EasyAbs review setting, to change deadlines, contact emails, or language and linguistic specializations.

We believe that this is necessary to reduce the time our subscribers waste with irrelevant information—to improve the information quality that we disseminate over LINGUIST List.

We know that over the last 25 years LINGUIST List has served many of you worldwide. It has brought us linguists together, helped us to find a job, let us know about new books and dissertations, workshops and conferences all over the globe. We are aware that things have changed, that our mailboxes are flooded with incredible amounts of information, that there are so many websites that provide linguistic information, that social media is changing the way we use the internet for communication. We are constantly improving our technologies and services to focus on our mission:

To provide free information and services to all linguists, readers and subscribers worldwide.

We believe that linguistics needs such an information hub that is independent, user-funded, international, and that integrates all linguistic sub-fields, not specializing on a single research area or domain. LINGUIST is truly international and multilingual, run by a team of linguists from Asia, Europe, and America. It is run by a team of volunteers, student editors and faculty, all linguists from different subfields, with different linguistic and language backgrounds.
During fund drive you can support LINGUIST List with a donation:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate

We all appreciate your support, and when we say "we all,” we mean the global international community of linguists and language lovers.

Sincerely,
Your LINGUIST Team