26.1924, Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation: LL Editor Sara's Favorite Tree

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 10 21:12:50 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1924. Fri Apr 10 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1924, Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation: LL Editor Sara's Favorite Tree

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Sara  Couture <sara at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 17:12:28
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear Fellow Linguists,

In the vein of our theme about trees and planting new roots here at LINGUIST
List, we all have been thinking about what our favorite linguistic trees are.
I had a hard time narrowing this down.  My first reaction was to say
“MultiTree!”, my favorite LL grant project, as well as my favorite tool for
historical linguistics before I even started working at LINGUIST List.  But
that is more than one tree, but rather a forest of linguistic analyses about
genetic classification.  I worked as an editor and researcher on MultiTree for
a year and a half and I inputted a lot of trees into our database, mostly for
Austronesian and Papua New Guinea language families.

I loved many of the trees that I uploaded, but one that stood out to me in
particular was this classification of Kwomtari by Baron 1983:

http://new.multitree.org/trees/id/21805

Kwomtari is a small language family that includes only 6 daughter languages,
spoken in Papua New Guinea.  This was the first tree that I researched and
uploaded as a MultiTree editor.  I later went on to enter several different
classifications for the Kwomtari family, since scholars disagree on how to
classify these languages.  But this tree is in particular is nostalgic for me.
 It reminds me how much I love working on MultiTree, researching new resources
and new classifications, investigating language codes, and learning about
languages from far-flung places around the globe, languages I wouldn’t have
even known existed if I hadn’t researched them for MultiTree, and by proxy,
the LINGUIST List

The LINGUIST List is a free resource funded by the linguistic community to
serve the linguistic community.  Without your support over the years, the
LINGUIST List and such related resources like MultiTree would not exist.  If
you have found the LINGUIST List to be helpful and if you would like to keep
them around, please consider donating to our Fund Drive:

Your continuing support is vital to our existence.  We appreciate any little
bit of help that you can give.

Linguistically yours,
Sara Couture
Publications Editor