26.2061, Confs: Anthropological Linguistics, General Linguistics, Sociolinguistics/UK

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 17 20:19:30 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2061. Fri Apr 17 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2061, Confs: Anthropological Linguistics, General Linguistics, Sociolinguistics/UK

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnold at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 16:19:16
From: Friederike Luepke [fl2 at soas.ac.uk]
Subject: African Multilingualism: Motivations, Modalities, Movement and Meaning

African Multilingualism: Motivations, Modalities, Movement and Meaning
Short Title: M4

Date: 08-Sep-2015 - 09-Sep-2015
Location: London, United Kingdom
Contact: British Academy Events Team
Contact Email: events at britac.ac.uk
Meeting URL: http://www.britac.ac.uk/events/2015/African_Multilingualism.cfm

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

With multilingualism as a major research theme for linguistics and social sciences, this conference places Africa at the centre of cross-disciplinary research. We will take stock of existing and emerging research, e.g. of the role of youth languages in urban contexts or of the use of multiple languages in popular music and literature. Unique components will be the discussion of topoi that are commonly debated in separate disciplines and our perspective on multilingual settings in both urban and rural areas. Finally, we hope to break a widespread hegemonic view in favour of a perspective informed by intimate insights into lived multilingualism.

For this two-day conference, a registration fee of £50 is payable in advance at the time of booking. There is a reduced fee of £20 for the unwaged/retired and for undergraduate and postgraduate students.

The registration fees as listed above are payable even if you wish to attend only part of the conference.

The detailed conference programme and list of abstracts can be found here:

http://www.britac.ac.uk/events/2015/African_Multilingualism.cfm

          http://multitree.org/