26.3541, Confs: Phonetics, Phonology/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 7 14:58:23 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3541. Fri Aug 07 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3541, Confs: Phonetics, Phonology/Germany

Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnold at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 10:55:58
From: Antje Schweitzer [antje.schweitzer at ims.uni-stuttgart.de]
Subject: Modeling Variability in Speech

Modeling Variability in Speech

Date: 01-Oct-2015 - 02-Oct-2015
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Contact: Antje Schweitzer
Contact Email: variability-workshop at ims.uni-stuttgart.de
Meeting URL: http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/institut/arbeitsgruppen/phonetik/variability-workshop/

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics; Phonology

Meeting Description:

Aim:

This two-day workshop is aimed at bringing together data-driven research on segmental
and prosodic variability and model-driven research including computational modeling and
simulations of such variability.

The workshop will explore both segmental and prosodic variability from a variety of
perspectives, including a computational one, with a particular focus on addressing the
following questions:

How does variability inform our understanding of phonological theory and mental
representations? In what way can computational methodologies provide further insights
into the causes and effects of variability? How does variability impact upon our ability to
acquire language, and to learn subsequent languages? What is the role of synchronic
variability in language change?

Invited Speakers:

- Mirjam Ernestus, Radboud University Nijmegen/MPI
- Silke Hamann, University of Amsterdam
- Andrew Wedel, University of Arizona

Registration:

There will be no registration fee, but we ask participants to confirm their attendance in
advance to help us plan appropriately, and because space will be limited.

If you would like to attend the workshop, please register by email to variability-workshop at ims.uni-stuttgart.de by September 10.

Please check the workshop homepage for more detailed information.

Program:

A detailed (preliminary) program is now online at

http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/institut/arbeitsgruppen/phonetik/variability-workshop/Variability-WS-Stuttgart-2015-prelim.pdf