26.3635, Calls: Computational Ling, General Ling, Psycholing, Semantics, Syntax/Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 14 16:13:52 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3635. Fri Aug 14 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3635, Calls: Computational Ling, General Ling, Psycholing, Semantics, Syntax/Germany

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 12:12:41
From: Sam Featherston [sam.featherston at uni-tuebingen.de]
Subject: Linguistic Evidence 2016

Full Title: Linguistic Evidence 2016
Short Title: LE 2016

Date: 18-Feb-2016 - 20-Feb-2016
Location: Tübingen, Germany
Contact Person: Sam Featherston
Meeting Email: lingevid2016 at uni-tuebingen.de
Web Site: http://www.sfb833.uni-tuebingen.de/le2016.html

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Syntax

Call Deadline: 04-Oct-2015

Meeting Description:

The Linguistic Evidence conference series is a meeting place for linguists who wish to improve the empirical adequacy of linguistic theory and linguistic analysis. A central aim is to more closely integrate data-driven and theory-driven approaches to the study of language systems, language behaviour, and language functions. Interdisciplinary work in which linguistics cooperate with academics in adjacent fields is particularly welcome. The ideal paper to be presented at Linguistic Evidence will have both a data and a theoretical dimension.

The Linguistic Evidence 2016 will be hosted by the collaborative research centre 833 'The construction of meaning', University of Tübingen, Germany.

2nd Call for Papers:

Linguistic Evidence 2016
Call Deadline: 04-Oct-2015

We invite abstracts from all fields of linguistics which either:

a. Apply data from linguistic corpora, psycholinguistic and neurolinguistic experimentation, language acquisition, language pathology, fieldwork, historical texts or other sources to linguistic issues
b. Make use of quantifiable or replicable evidence to produce novel analyses or perspectives on questions of the representation, processing, or acquisition of linguistic systems
c. Offer insights into promising new methods of data collection, processing, and analysis which may be of interest to researchers in language.

We therefore particularly call for papers addressing these issues. The ideal paper will have both a data and a theoretical dimension.

Special session: Semantics and pragmatics interface phenomena - theory building and testing
The distinction between semantic and pragmatic components of meaning and the identification of their respective contributions towards sentence-level interpretation is a very active field of study in current linguistics.  As our understanding has advanced, it has become apparent that the two processes of meaning determination are linked in more complex ways than had been imagined, so that more sophisticated data is required in order to make advances. There is accordingly e.g. a lot of experimental research in this domain.

One example of such semantics/pragmatics interface phenomena would be presuppositions and implicatures which are traditionally classified as semantic versus pragmatic, respectively. However, recent research challenges this traditional view, suggesting that boundaries are not as clear cut and that certain presuppositions might also be pragmatic (Simons, 2001; Abusch, 2010; Schlenker, 2008, 2009;Abrusan, 2011), whereas (scalar) implicatures might come about by inserting a semantic operator (Chierchia 2004, Chierchia, Fox & Spector 2011). Other phenomena of interest include speech acts and speech act level operators, variables and contextual variable assignments or restrictions, and indexicality.

For this special session we invite contributions which address questions relating to such semantic and pragmatic interface phenomena using empirical methods. The ideal paper will relate empirical results back to linguistic theory and include an analysis that impacts our understanding of the semantics/pragmatics interface.
Submission Details:

We invite abstracts for 30+15 minute talks and also for poster presentations. Unless you specify otherwise in your abstract, we shall consider all submissions first as talks and then as posters. We will not normally accept more than two abstracts per person, and of these only one may be single-authored.

Abstracts should be no more than 3 pages long (without pagination!)  including data, graphics and references. They should have a 2.5cm margin on all sides, and should be written in 11 point Arial font.

Deadline for Abstract Submission: 04 October 2015

Submission is being managed with EasyChair at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=le2016

In case of problems, please contact LingEvid2016 at uni-tuebingen.de.

The main conference website is at: http://www.sfb833.uni-tuebingen.de/ev/le2016.html

          http://multitree.org/