26.3712, Confs: Computational Linguistics, Lexicography, Semantics/Portugal

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 20 18:14:56 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3712. Thu Aug 20 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3712, Confs: Computational Linguistics, Lexicography, Semantics/Portugal

Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnold at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 14:14:32
From: Annie Louis [alouis at inf.ed.ac.uk]
Subject: Workshop on Linking Models of Lexical, Sentential and Discourse-Level Semantics

Workshop on Linking Models of Lexical, Sentential and Discourse-Level Semantics
Short Title: LSDSem 2015

Date: 17-Sep-2015 - 18-Sep-2015
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Contact: Michael Roth
Contact Email: mroth at inf.ed.ac.uk
Meeting URL: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mroth/LSDSem/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Semantics

Meeting Description:

Improved computational models of semantics hold great promise for applications in language technology, be it semantics at the lexical level, sentence level or discourse level. Large-scale corpora with corresponding annotations (word senses, propositions, attributions and discourse relations) are making it possible to develop statistical models for many tasks and applications. However, developments in lexical and sentence-level semantics remain largely distinct from those in discourse semantics. This workshop aims at bridging this gap by bringing together researchers to discuss how multiple levels of semantics can be integrated and implemented in various applications.

Our goal is to gather and showcase theoretical and computational approaches to joint models of semantics, and applications that incorporate multi-level semantics. We hope to bring together researchers from various areas: computational linguistics who strive for more expressive models of language understanding, linguists and cognitive scientists interested in aspects of representing text with multiple levels of semantics, machine learning researchers interested in joint inference over different types of semantic cues, and also researchers who are interested in applications that require or will benefit from multi-level semantics. A dialog between researchers has great potential to advance work in each of these areas and bring about more powerful and enriched models of text semantics.

Program:

Call for Participation:

Workshop on Linking Models of Lexical, Sentential and Discourse-level Semantics

Endorsed by SIGLEX, SIGSEM and SIGdial, the ACL Special Interest Groups on the Lexicon, Computational Semantics, and Discourse and Dialogue

Held in conjunction with EMNLP 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
September 18, 2015

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mroth/LSDSem/

Preliminary Program:

We accepted 11 diverse and exciting papers for this first-time workshop. The list of accepted papers and our preliminary program can be found online here:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mroth/LSDSem/#program

Invited Talks:

Aside from the papers reviewed by our excellent program committee, we also have a great line-up of invited speakers:

''From Distributed Semantics to Discourse, and Back''
Jacob Eisenstein, Georgia Institute of Technology

''What Men Say, What Women Hear: Using Semantics To Make Better Sense of Gender Differences in Social Media''
Rada Mihalcea, University of Michigan

''The (Non)Utility of Semantics for Coreference Resolution''
Michael Strube, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies

Registration:

Registration to the workshop is available via the EMNLP website here:

http://www.emnlp2015.org/registration.html

Please note that the early bird registration deadline is this Sunday, August 23.