26.5370, Calls: Discourse Analysis/Italy

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 2 17:36:56 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-5370. Wed Dec 02 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.5370, Calls: Discourse Analysis/Italy

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 12:36:47
From: Alan Partington [alanscott.partington at unibo.it]
Subject: Corpora and Discourse International Conference

Full Title: Corpora and Discourse International Conference
Short Title: CADS_Int

Date: 30-Jun-2016 - 02-Jul-2016
Location: Siena, Pontignano, Italy
Contact Person: Alison Dugiud
Meeting Email: cadssiena at gmail.com
Web Site: https://eventi.unibo.it/cadsconf2016

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2016

Meeting Description:

Main Conference:

Corpus-assisted discourse studies (CADS) investigate the employment of corpus techniques to shed light on aspects of language used for communicative purposes or, put another way, to analyse how language is used to (attempt to) influence the beliefs and behaviour of other people.

We welcome proposals on the corpus-assisted analysis of, for instance:

- Discourse organisation
- Political, institutional and media texts (including social media)
- Social science and social policy issues
- Cultural and cross-cultural topics
- Discourse implications in translation studies
- Discourse effects in literary texts
- Notably thorny issues for corpus research like irony, metaphor and (im) politeness;
and, indeed, of any study of discourse where the three corpus linguistics virtues of Collecting, Counting and Collating are deemed to have enabled, assisted, enhanced and even perhaps complicated the data analysis. Studies of how things are done across different discourse types or of how they have developed over recent periods of time are also highly relevant.

We also welcome papers which include considerations on the general methodological and philosophical issues pertaining to CADS.

Workshop: Festival of Methods (June 30)

We have introduced a new regular feature into the Corpus & Discourse conference series in which we explore the effects of our choice of tools, methods and approaches. Ahead of each conference in the series, a research topic will be set which researchers are invite to tackle and then time will be set aside at the conference itself for presentation of findings and extended discussion on the kinds of analyses which were developed. We are calling this new kind of panel event the Festival of Methods because we hope it will be an engaging exploration and celebration of the range of methods we have at our disposal.

Research topic: How is Ireland / being Irish represented in UK parliamentary discourse?
Corpus: Hansard Corpus (from Mark Davies’s BYU suite)

Participants are encouraged to approach the topic from any aspect. They may make as little or as much use of corpus tools as they wish, and approaches using different discourse analytic frames are very welcome. Collaborative contributions are also encouraged. For further information: FestivalofMethods at gmail.com

Call for Papers:

Main Conference:

Deadline for Main Conference abstract submission: January 31, 2016
Notification of acceptance / non acceptance of submission: by March 1, 2016
Preliminary programme published and registration opens: March 21, 2016

The number of conference places is limited to 50. After the Conference speakers have been accepted, the admission of further places will be first come, first served.

Call for expressions of interest in the Festival of Methods as part of the Corpora & Discourse conference, Siena, 30 June 2016:

If you would like to actively participate in the Festival of Methods (June 30), please send a 300-word abstract summarising your planned approach to FestivalofMethods at gmail.com by31 January 2016.

If accepted, you will be asked to submit a short summary of findings by 10 June 2016. These summaries will allow us to identify the main themes for discussion.

The event will run on the afternoon of 30 June, and will be structured around an extended poster presentation session, followed by discussion groups working on particular themes and a final panel to which all participants will be invited. Other conference attendees will also be invited to join in the discussions and put questions to the panel. We expect it to be a stimulating and interactive afternoon for all involved.

NB Presenters may submit abstracts both for the main Corpora & Discourse conference and for the Festival of Methods.