26.5449, Calls: General Ling/USA

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 7 18:50:21 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-5449. Mon Dec 07 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.5449, Calls: General Ling/USA

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 13:50:15
From: Christine Shea [christine-shea at uiowa.edu]
Subject: Midwest Heritage Language Summit: Fostering the Languages of Our Community

Full Title: Midwest Heritage Language Summit: Fostering the Languages of Our Community

Date: 23-Apr-2016 - 23-Apr-2016
Location: Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, USA
Contact Person: Brahim Chakrani
Meeting Email: chakrani at msu.edu
Web Site: http://www.cal.msu.edu/heritagelanguagesummit

Call Deadline: 15-Feb-2016

Meeting Description:

The Midwest Heritage Language Network is pleased to announce a one-day summit on heritage languages in the community to be held at Michigan State University on April 23, 2016.

The Heritage Language Summit will address issues related to heritage speakers and the larger community. The Summit will include panels addressing heritage speakers and the business community, health care, educational resources, bilingualism and family language maintenance.

We are also very pleased to announce that our keynote speaker will be Professor Abbas Benmamoun (Professor of Linguistics, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign), Arabic linguist and expert on Arabic as a heritage language.

Organizers:

Glenn Martínez (Ohio State University)
Diane Birkbichler (Ohio State University)
Brahim Chakrani (Michigan State University)
Elena Foulis (Ohio State University)
Kim Potowski (University of Illinois Chicago)
Christine Shea (University of Iowa)
Isabel Velazquez (University of Nebraska)

We would like to thank the following for their generous support of this conference:
Humanities Without Walls initiative (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign), funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
College of Arts and Letters (Michigan State University)
Department of Linguistics and Langauges (Michigan State University)

Meeting Location:
Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan

Contact Information:
Christine Shea
heritagelanguagesummit at gmail.com

Meeting Dates:
The Midwest Heritage Language Summit: Fostering the Languages of our Community will be held from 23-Apr-2016 to 23-Apr-2016.

We invite abstracts for poster presentations related to the theme of heritage languages in the community. Community members and graduate students are particularly encouraged to submit. Abstracts will be accepted from January 15-February 15, 2016.

Notification of acceptance will be sent out no later than February 25, 2016.

          http://multitree.org/