26.826, Qs: Annotation of semantics roles

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 9 18:19:54 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-826. Mon Feb 09 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.826, Qs: Annotation of semantics roles

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:19:44
From: Hamza Meguehout [meguehout.hamza at gmail.com]
Subject: Annotation of semantics roles

Hello,

I work in the Arabic language, and I am developing a supervised method for the
annotation of semantic roles (thematic roles). I am using Arabic VerbNet as a
reference for the annotation (I am using the thematic classes and roles of
VerbNet Arabic). However, this supervised method requires an annotated corpus.

My questions:

1. Do you think it's justified to use VerbNet for the annotation?
2. What is the solution for the corpus? An annotated corpus using Arabic
VerbNet as a reference does not exist.

Thank you!

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics

Subject Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)