26.894, FYI: The Sociolinguistic Events Calendar

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 12 19:34:41 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-894. Thu Feb 12 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.894, FYI: The Sociolinguistic Events Calendar

Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva <uliana at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 14:34:19
From: Dave Sayers [dave.sayers at cantab.net]
Subject: The Sociolinguistic Events Calendar

Hello one and all,

The LinguistList conference page
(http://linguistlist.org/callconf/browse-current.cfm?type=Conf) is a great
resource, but since it covers all of linguistics, it can feel a bit busy if
you're only looking for sociolinguistic events.

I thought I'd set up a Google calendar for all different sorts of
sociolinguistic conferences around the world (conferences, seminars, summer
schools, etc.). So, without further ado, I present... the Sociolinguistic
Event Calendar!
http://www.baal.org.uk/slxevents.html

When I first set this up in November 2014, it was just a regular Google
Calendar, same as any other, without a fancy home on the internet. Since then,
as you can see from the page linked above, it's been generously given some
prime real estate on the British Association of Applied Linguistics' website.
The calendar itself is still a regular Google Calendar; it just has a fancy
new shop window around it. And the calendar has been reciprocally advertised
on a number of conferences' websites, including NWAV and the Sociolinguistic
Symposium. All this glamour has enabled me to rope in a crack team of
volunteer moderators, whose names are listed on the site linked above.
Nowadays they deserve as much credit for maintaining the calendar as I do.

Now, I hear you ask, this is all very nice but can I integrate it with my own
online calendar? Well yes, since you ask, yes you can! If you use Google
Calendar already (and if not why not??), then you can easily integrate it with
your own by clicking the little ''+ Google Calendar'' icon in the bottom right
of the calendar on the page linked above. As long as you're already logged
into Google (that includes Gmail), then it should just fire up your Google
Calendar account and integrate this events calendar alongside your own. Voilà!
Instant connection to the global hubbub of sociolinguistic happenings! Then
you can click on 'Sociolinguistic Events Calendar' it in the left-hand menu of
Google Calendar to show or hide it alongside your own.

And you can integrate the Sociolinguistic Events Calendar with any other
online calendar that operates with the iCalendar format (e.g. Apple Calendar -
booo!). To do that you'll need to copy (not click) the iCalendar URL:
https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/3n7v0bteok63efhlh7huvsud74%40group.calend
ar.google.com/public/basic.ics
(Make sure you copy that without any spaces.)

Here's the guide for adding it to an Apple calendar:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11523.

And if you use Outlook calendar, you can sync any Google Calendar with that:
https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync.

Hopefully then, this calendar will help conference organisers to see more
straightforwardly if their event overlaps with other stuff (top tip: avoid the
last week of May!), and could also help with arranging unrelated
organisational things, personal commitments, holidays, weddings...
If you're organising a conference yourself, then please get in touch with any
of us moderators to have your event added, and you too could be luxuriating in
the splendour of the Sociolinguistic Events Calendar!

Dave
--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Senior Lecturer, Dept Humanities, Sheffield Hallam University, UK

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics