26.944, Summer Schools: English Phonetics / London, United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 16 20:13:53 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-944. Mon Feb 16 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.944, Summer Schools: English Phonetics / London, United Kingdom

Editor for this issue: Malgorzata Cavar <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 15:12:20
From: CPD PaLS [pals-cpd at ucl.ac.uk]
Subject: English Phonetics / London, United Kingdom

 English Phonetics / London, United Kingdom

Host Institution: University College London
Coordinating Institution: University College London
Website: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/study/cpd/cpd-courses/scep

Dates: 17-Aug-2015 - 28-Aug-2015
Location: London, United Kingdom

Focus: The course covers all the main aspects of English phonetics:

- phonemic system (vowels and consonants)
- segmental analysis (allophonic processes)
- word stress
- weakening and co-articulation processes
- sentence stress (accent, tonal stress)
- intonation and meaning

These topics will be investigated both in lectures and in practical classes. We deal with both speaking and listening. You will get plenty of practice in pronunciation performance (sounds in isolation and, more importantly, in connected speech) and in auditory discrimination (ear-training).

Minimum Education Level: No Minimum

Practical groups will be kept small (not more than about ten people), and will be streamed according to students' level of ability. We expect to have separate groups at various levels for:

- teachers of English as a foreign language
- undergraduate students of English
- university academics and postgraduates

In the main strand followed by most participants, we pay particular attention to the difficulties of English pronunciation for learners of English as a Foreign Language (EFL). We focus especially on the phonetic characteristics of connected speech, analyzing the ways in which the pronunciation of words in discourse typically differ from their pronunciation in isolation. We look at stress and intonation, particularly from the point of view of pragmatics and discourse function. The theory, ear-training, and practice materials relate to English phonetics rather than to general phonetics, but alongside this in most years, we have also ran an IPA Examination strand.

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics

Registration: 12-Feb-2015 to 16-Aug-2015

Contact Person: CPD PaLS
                Phone: 02076794204
                  Fax: 02076794010
                Email: pals-cpd at ucl.ac.uk

Apply on the web: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/study/cpd/cpd-courses/scep/howtoapply

Registration Instructions:
Registration instructions available here:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/study/cpd/cpd-courses/scep/howtoapply