26.115, Qs: Discourse Analysis of Street Harassment/catcalling

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 9 09:51:52 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-115. Fri Jan 09 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.115, Qs: Discourse Analysis of Street Harassment/catcalling

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 04:51:34
From: Katrina Dreyer [katrina.dreyer at rutgers.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=26-115.html&submissionid=35986117&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hello!

For a linguistics independent study project I am doing a discourse analysis on
street harassment or catcalling (most of my data will be pulled from the video
''10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman'' link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A). I am interested, via a
linguistic analysis, how the comments often come to be interpreted as
harassment rather than greetings or compliments, and how these types of
comments contribute to a linguistic construction of gender.

I have found research and articles on the topic in other related fields, with
a main source of Elizabeth Arveda Kissling's ''Street Harassment: the language
of sexual terrorism'' which looks into the social meanings of street
harassment. My query is if there has been any linguistic discourse analyses
done on street harassment in the English language. Many of the articles I have
found focus on other cultures (i.e. Morocco and Iran ) or women studying
abroad and are mostly sociology-based studies (and most studies stem from the
90s). I will use these to inform my study, but was interested in any existing
discourse analysis of street harassment (or other linguistic approaches to the
topic).
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to any and all
feedback!

Regards,
Katrina Dreyer

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis