26.137, Summer Schools: Workshop on Documentation and Analysis of Multimodal Data (DAMD 2015) / Alcanena, Portugal

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 11 00:23:30 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-137. Sat Jan 10 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.137, Summer Schools: Workshop on Documentation and Analysis of Multimodal Data (DAMD 2015) / Alcanena, Portugal

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva <uliana at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 19:23:12
From: Vera Ferreira [vferreira at cidles.eu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=26-137.html&submissionid=35997837&topicid=16&msgnumber=1

Workshop on Documentation and Analysis of Multimodal Data (DAMD 2015) / Alcanena, Portugal

Host Institution: CIDLeS Interdisciplinary Centre for Social and Language Documentation
Coordinating Institution: CIDLeS Interdisciplinary Centre for Social and Language Documentation
Website: http://www.cidles.eu/events/workshop/

Dates: 24-Apr-2015 - 25-Apr-2015
Location: Alcanena, Portugal

Focus: Focusing on manual gesture, participants will learn how gesture data play an important role in understanding the fundamentally multimodal nature of language use. DAMD 2015 will also focus on documentation of multimodal data through video recordings. For that, participants will collect natural language data of different types and learn how to use video equipment. Moreover, coding gesture with ELAN will represent an important part of the workshop.
Minimum Education Level: BA

Language use is fundamentally multimodal. When we speak point to places, we
nod to signal our understanding and we outline our thought with our hands.
Moreover, we coordinate our actions with our conversational partners. The way
we talk, the words we use, the information we include depends on the common
ground we share with our interlocutors and different social and contextual
dimensions. This complexity of language use is best captured with video.
Language documentation projects as well as any linguistic research project
investigating dimensions of conversational language use should record video.
However, video training is often limited to the technicalities of how to use a
video camera and microphones but does not provide a theoretical framework for
the features of language use. What is missing is an understanding of the
social, linguistic and cognitive foundation of language use so that it becomes
clear what needs to be captured how.

In this workshop we will address these topics and participants will learn
about the theoretical foundation of language use as a joint activity.

Workshop leader: Dr. Mandana Seyfeddinipur (Endangered Languages Documentation
Programme, SOAS).

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation
                      Text/Corpus Linguistics

Tuition: 260 EUR

Tuition Explanation: The fee includes accommodation in shared rooms (2 people) at Hotel Eurosol
(Alcanena, Portugal) from April 23rd to April 26th, breakfast, lunches and
coffee breaks during the workshop and workshop materials.

Registration: 08-Jan-2015 to 31-Mar-2015

Contact Person: Vera Ferreira
                Email: vferreira at cidles.eu

Apply on the web: http://www.cidles.eu/events/workshop/registration/

Registration Instructions:
Please fill in the online form and proceed with the payment to formalize the
registration. Payment details will be sent after the submission of the
registration form.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/