26.384, Support: Phonetics / Switzerland

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 21 01:51:35 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-384. Tue Jan 20 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.384, Support: Phonetics / Switzerland

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Danuta  Allen <danuta at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:49:55
From: Daniel Friedrichs [daniel.friedrichs at uzh.ch]
Subject: Phonetics: PhD Student, University of Zurich, Switzerland

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=26-384.html&submissionid=36001657&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: University of Zurich
Department: Phonetics Lab
Web Address: http://www.pholab.uzh.ch

Level: PhD

Duties: Research,Project Work

Specialty Areas: Phonetics
Speech Sciences

The Phonetics Lab at Zurich University is welcoming applications for a PhD Position in Phonetics / Speech Sciences at Zurich University (3 years, 100%).

For a three year research project submitted to the Swiss National Science Foundation and entitled 'Acoustic Characteristics of Voice in Music and Straight Theatre, and Related Aspects of Production, Perception, and Cortical Representation' (cooperation of the Institute for the Performing Arts and Film at Zurich University of the Arts and the Phonetics Group in the Department of Comparative Linguistics at Zurich University), we have the position of a doctoral researcher available at Zurich University (subject to approval of funding).

The present project represents a follow-up research of a previous investigation in which we have set up a large database of vocalisations of German vowels, produced by non-professional children, women and men, as well as by professional actors and singers, and including variations in phonation (voiced vs. whispered vs. creaky), in vocal effort, in fundamental frequency and in speaking and singing styles. We also have evaluated appropriate methods of acoustic measurement and investigated vowel perception and voice and vowel-specific acoustic characteristics related to different speaking and singing styles.
The present project aims at:
(a) additional recordings (in the studio and live on stage in a large concert hall);
(b) vowel synthesis and resynthesis;
(c) vocal tract investigation (with MRI, with vocal tract resonance measurement);
(d) investigation of cortical vowel representation (with EEG);
(e) investigation of voice and vowel perception.
The main aspects of investigation for the doctoral researcher concern (a), (b) and (e), and experiments on vocal tract resonance measurement.

The Phonetics Group is run by a team of enthusiastic academics with interests in a variety of areas in phonetics and speech sciences. In addition to our cooperation with researchers, actors and singers from the Zurich University of the Arts, we work closely together with researchers from the departments of German, Romance and English language as well as Psychology and Audiology.

Requirements:
- master's degree (e.g. MA, MSc, MRes, etc.) in Phonetics, Speech Sciences, Linguistics, Information Technology or related area;
- excellent knowledge of English, good knowledge of German;
- good knowledge of the acoustic analysis of speech;
- experience in speech signal processing, methods (e.g. FFT, LPC, Cepstrum, LTAS) and related software (e.g. Praat, Matlab, Wavesurfer);
- good basis in statistics;
- related experience in scripting and programing;
You should have an interest (or already experience) in areas like:
- acoustic analysis of singing and acting;
- speech perception;
- speech synthesis.

Payment for the position will be between c. 47.000 and 50.000 CHF (depending on year).
Important dates:
- deadline for applications: 15th of March 2015;
- interviews: 20th of March to 10th of April 2015;
- starting date of position: 1st of May or 1st of June 2015 (negotiable).

How to Apply:
Your application should consist of the following items:
- curriculum vitae (CV); including publications (if available);
- list of grades (transcript);
- name and email addresses of two potential referees;
Electronic application submission, further information and/or informal chats about the post:
Volker Dellwo [mail: volker.dellwo at uzh.ch]
http://www.pholab.uzh.ch/leute/dellwo.html
Dieter Maurer [mail: dieter.maurer at zhdk.ch]
http://www.zhdk.ch/?person/detail&id=10966

For the website of the ongoing project and related publications, see:
http://www.phones-and-phonemes.org/project-1.html

Application Deadline: 15-Mar-2015

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Prof. Dr. Volker Dellwo