26.385, Support: Language Acquisition, Phonetics, Phonology, Semantics, Syntax / Germany

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 21 01:57:02 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-385. Tue Jan 20 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.385, Support: Language Acquisition, Phonetics, Phonology, Semantics, Syntax / Germany

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Sara Couture, Indiana U <sara at linguistlist.org>

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Danuta  Allen <danuta at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 20:56:01
From: Thomas McFadden [mcfadden at zas.gwz-berlin.de]
Subject: Language Acquisition, Phonetics, Phonology, Semantics, Syntax: PhD Student, Zentrum für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft, Germany

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=26-385.html&submissionid=36002877&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: Zentrum für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
Department:
Web Address: http://www.zas.gwz-berlin.de

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology; Semantics; Syntax

The Centre for General Linguistics (ZAS) offers a three-year funded position for a PhD candidate who wishes to obtain the degree of Dr. Phil. (philosophiae) (Salary Scale TVL-E13/2) to be filled at the earliest practicable date. The Centre seeks a candidate who will complete a Ph.D. thesis on a project related to one or more of the research areas specified below. We welcome applications for projects within a single area, but preference will be given to applicants whose research interests are clearly connected to more than one.

Laboratory Phonology:
- The Laboratory Phonology group explores the spoken elements of language, their organization, grammatical function, learnability, perception and interpretation and their overall role in speech communication. Our experimental and quantitative approaches to the study of language include articulation, the role of breathing in speech production and dialogue, the prosodic marking of morpho-syntactic contituents, the role of intonation to meaning and the reception, perception and production of socially stigmatized variants of German. See:
http://www.zas.gwz-berlin.de/pb10.html?&L=1

Language Acquisition:
- The expertise and focus of the language acquisition research group is in monolingual and bilingual development of discourse structure and concerns, for instance, research into the linguistic means for establishing discourse coherence. We work with data from children with both typical and atypical (SLI) language development. Our group is currently expanding to cover the development of intra- and inter-syntactic complexity, anaphoric reference, coherence relations and connectives. The future PhD candidate is expected to have a strong theoretical background and pursue acquisition research from a linguistic perspective. See:
http://www.zas.gwz-berlin.de/pb20.html?&L=1

Syntax and the Lexicon:
- The Syntax-Lexicon group investigates how the lexical properties of clause-embedding predicates such as ''claim'', ''ask'', ''promise'', ''refuse'' or ''seem'' interact with the syntactic structures of the clauses they embed in an array of languages. The goal is to determine whether there are systematic and cross-linguistically stable classes of clause-embedding predicates and to what extent the lexical semantics of the predicates determines the properties of the types of clauses they embed. Our research includes examining the role of clause-embedding predicates in particular instances of language change and language contact, and we are generally interested in expanding the range of languages considered. See:
http://www.zas.gwz-berlin.de/pb30.html?&L=1

The candidate will work closely with members of the different research areas at ZAS as appropriate to the topic of their research project.

Requirements:
Applicants are expected to have or acquire a working knowledge of German, a very good knowledge of the relevant fields of linguistic theory and a strong interest in empirical work.

How to Apply:
Applications must be submitted via email to application at zas.gwz-berlin.de
and include the following:
- cover letter;
- curriculum vitae (CV);
- summary of the master's thesis and other prior research (approx. 3 pages);
- a description of the research topics the applicant intends to pursue while working towards the Ph.D., stating why that research would be a good fit at the ZAS an in particular how it would relate to the three research groups described above (approx. 3 pages);
- the master's thesis or equivalent, along with other writing samples;
- copies of diplomas and certificates.

Contacts:
Laboratory Phonology: Dr. Stefanie Jannedy, jannedy at zas.gwz-berlin.de
Language Acquisition: Dr. Dagmar Bittner, bittner at zas.gwz-berlin.de
Syntax-Lexicon: Dr. Thomas McFadden, mcfadden at zas.gwz-berlin.de

Application Deadline: 28-Feb-2015

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Dr Werner Frey
	Zentrum fuer Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
	Schuetzenstr. 18
	Berlin 10117
	Germany

Contact Information: