26.484, FYI: Endangered Language Fund Changes

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 23 22:07:02 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-484. Fri Jan 23 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.484, FYI: Endangered Language Fund Changes

Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva <uliana at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:06:46
From: Doug Whalen [whalen at haskins.yale.edu]
Subject: Endangered Language Fund Changes

Dear all,

The Endangered Language Fund is pleased to announce some changes in our
leadership. The new President is Monica Macaulay, Professor of Linguistics at
the University of Wisconsin–Madison. She is also affiliated with the American
Indian Studies Program there. She has been active in documenting various
languages, especially Menominee and Potawatomi. She is the author of a grammar
of Chalcatongo Mixtec and a survival skills manual for graduate students in
linguistics, and she is also current co-editor of the Papers of the Algonquian
Conference. We are excited to have her energy and new perspective to take ELF
into its third decade.

The Vice-President’s position is now filled by Claire Bowern, Associate
Professor of Linguistics at Yale University. She has done extensive work on
Australian languages, particularly Nyulnyulan languages (especially Bardi
[bcj]) and Pama-Nyungan languages (especially Yan-nhangu [jay]). Her books
include grammars of Bardi and Sivisa Titan, an introduction to historical
linguistics, and a guide to linguistic fieldwork. We are equally pleased with
the new perspective that Claire will bring to ELF.

The Healing Through Language initiative (www.healingthroughlanguage.org) now
has a new co-director, Alice Taff, University of Alaska Southeast. She will
join Margaret Moss (Yale University School of Nursing) in leading our efforts
to document the positive health effects of language revitalization programs.
This will allow us to treat them as health programs rather than culture
programs; such a shift is justified by the evidence so far and the rationale
that participants give for their extensive efforts and should broaden their
appeal and support.

I myself have now assumed the role of Chair of the Board of Directors of ELF,
where I will continue guiding the organization that I started 19 years ago.

Please feel free to send your congratulations to Monica, Claire and Alice. You
can also show your appreciation by making a donation to ELF:
http://endangeredlanguagefund.org/donate.php.

Best,
Doug DhW

Doug Whalen: whalen at haskins.yale.edu