26.531, Qs: Expressions of intermediate meanings

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 26 19:42:26 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-531. Mon Jan 26 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.531, Qs: Expressions of intermediate meanings

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:42:13
From: Carita Paradis [carita.paradis at englund.lu.se]
Subject: Expressions of intermediate meanings

Dear list members,

A fair amount of research has been carried out on expressions of binary
opposites in language, but, as far as I know, very little has been carried out
on expressions of intermediate meanings, i.e. form-meaning pairings related to
the in-between zone, irrespective of whether this zone is a point/boundary or
a range. I am curious to know if I have missed something important that might
have been done on intermediates in English or any other language.

With best wishes,
Carita Paradis

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Computational Linguistics