26.556, Qs: References

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 27 15:00:17 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-556. Tue Jan 27 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.556, Qs: References

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:00:03
From: Willem Burung [willem.burung at stcatz.ox.ac.uk]
Subject: References

Dear linguists,

I am doing a research on the issue of Experiential Events as a chapter for my
D.Phil. thesis. It is apparent in the grammar of Wano, Experiential Events are
expressed by inalienably possessed nouns (IPN). Items denoting physiological
and psychological state of affairs, e.g. remember, pain, hate, love, etc. are
experiential events.

In the clause 'I love you', for example, there is no verb present, which
entails in the IPN being the head of the clause. I have no difficulties in
comparing such structure with some related languages, like Walak, Nggem, Dani.
But my question is, is such a construction language universals? Would this
support the notion that nouns can be the head of clauses? If yes, would there
be some references referring to other languages in the world you know of?

I would really appreciate your input. In replying to my query, please make it
clear what language is and what references that talk about 'nouns can be the
head of clause', 'nouns can have objects', and 'nouns can have argument
structure'.

Many thanks in advanced. I am looking forward to hearing from anyone who is
familiar with this issue.

Yours,
Willem Burung

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     General Linguistics
                     Linguistic Theories
                     Morphology
                     Pragmatics