26.669, Calls: General Linguistics/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 31 04:29:08 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-669. Fri Jan 30 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.669, Calls: General Linguistics/Netherlands

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 23:29:01
From: Maartje Lindhout [conference at studieverenigingtwist.nl]
Subject: T.W.I.S.T. Conference for Linguistics

Full Title: T.W.I.S.T. Conference for Linguistics

Date: 10-Apr-2015 - 10-Apr-2015
Location: Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Contact Person: Maartje Lindhout
Meeting Email: conference at studieverenigingtwist.nl
Web Site: http://www.studieverenigingtwist.nl

Call Deadline: 28-Feb-2015

Meeting Description:

The T.W.I.S.T. conference for linguistics gives undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students the unique opportunity to present their original research in a friendly atmosphere with fellow students and researchers and to meet them in a casual environment. The conference will be organized on the 10th of April (2015) at Leiden University. The conference will be held in English.

T.W.I.S.T., the Leiden student association for Linguistics and African Languages and Cultures has organized this students’ conference for the past eight years. This edition is also expected to be a notable event for young students and researchers that everyone who is interested in linguistics will surely want to experience.

Some topics from past conferences are: “Nominal tense: how Amazonian languages punch us in the face”, “The paradoxal combination of ‘yes no’ in spoken Dutch”, “Word learning strategies in SLI teenagers” and “Gallo-Romance in the Lex Salica”.

What We Offer:

The T.W.I.S.T. students’ conference offers you a truly academic yet open and informal platform to present your research to fellow students and fellow researchers from all over the country. Naturally, as a speaker you are invited to attend lectures by guest speakers, students and postgraduates. A lunch is provided.

In between lectures and during the breaks you will have plenty of opportunities to meet and converse with fellow students, researchers and academic lecturers. The average number of students and researchers visiting previous conferences is 60.

Call for Papers:

We are excited to announce the 9th conference for linguistics on 10 April 2015. Undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students are very welcome to present their original research (e.g. for (a part of) a thesis or on a project) in a friendly atmosphere with fellow students, researchers and lecturers.

Research on all languages and all areas of linguistics are welcomed: From descriptive linguistics to syntax and from sociolinguistics to historical phonology. All presentations have a duration of 20 minutes and there will be five minutes time for discussion.

How to Apply:

Please send an abstract about your original research, along with your name and contact information to conference at studieverenigingtwist.nl.
Please add the following information: what your research is about, what makes it interesting, and what (preliminary) conclusions you draw from your research.

The abstract should contain at most 300 words. The deadline for submitting your abstract is 28 February 2015. The committee will announce the selected speakers two weeks after the deadline.

We are looking forward to reading your abstracts and welcoming you to the 9th T.W.I.S.T. conference for Linguistics! For questions and additional information, you can reach us at the e-mail address provided below.

Kind regards,

Conference committee 2014–2015 on behalf of Student Association T.W.I.S.T.
Maartje Lindhout (chair), Marianne de Heer Kloots, Redmer Kronemeijer, Ruby Sleeman and Vivian Tomson

conference at studieverenigingtwist.nl

          http://multitree.org/