26.3138, Qs: Essays Written by Native-English Speakers

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 3 18:20:11 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3138. Fri Jul 03 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3138, Qs: Essays Written by Native-English Speakers

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 14:20:01
From: Jonathan Brown [j.d.brown at umail.leidenuniv.nl]
Subject: Essays Written by Native-English Speakers

Dear Colleagues,

My name is Jonathan Brown. I am a full-time lecturer at Yamanashi Gakuin University in Japan and a PhD candidate at Leiden University, the Netherlands. For my PhD, I am conducting a quantitatively oriented rhetorical analysis of English expository texts written by Japanese EFL learners and comparing them with texts written by native-English speakers to identify features in Japanese EFL learners' English writing that are different from native speakers' writing that could possibly account for why the Japanese writing is considered less “good.”

Because I live in Japan and teach at a Japanese university, I have no problem collecting texts for my Japanese EFL learners corpus, but I am having difficulty locating short expository texts for the native-English speakers corpus.
It would be greatly appreciated if any of you would be willing to send me some short (1.5-2 pages) expository essays written by your students in your classes. Preferably, I am seeking essays that teachers deem as ''good,'' i.e., cohesive, well-structured, focused.

I do not need to know much about the students other than to confirm they are in fact native-English speakers.
Please send any essays and/or questions about my research to the following email address:
j.d.brown at umail.leidenuniv.nl

Thank you in advance for your assistance in my research.

Cheers,
Jonathan Brown

                     Discourse Analysis
                     Pragmatics