26.3213, Qs: English Native Speakers: Communication Strategies

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 8 18:01:49 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3213. Wed Jul 08 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3213, Qs: English Native Speakers: Communication Strategies

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 14:01:28
From: Laya Heidari [laya1978 at yahoo.com]

Dear Respondent,

The following questionnaire which is a communication strategies questionnaire is a part of a research project conducted by an MA student of ELT. It will be carried out in the Department of Foreign Languages at Azad University, Isfahan Branch, Isfahan, Iran. The study will explore the similarities/differences between English native speakers and Iranian EFL learners given using communication strategies. The researcher will assure you that the respondents' personal information and their responses will be kept confidential.

Many thanks for your participation and putting time into answering the questionnaire!

Part A: General information

1. Gender: ( ) male ( ) female
2. Age: ( )

Part B: Communication Strategies Questionnaire

For each statement, please indicate if you entirely agree, you agree, no idea, you disagree, or you entirely disagree. Followed by the statements, there are also 5 interview questions.

1. I try to relax when I feel anxious.
2. I try to enjoy the conversation.
3. I try to give a good impression to the listener
4. I actively encourage myself to express what I want to say.
5. I don’t mind taking risks even though I might make mistakes
6. I try to use fillers) well, let me think) when I cannot think of what to say.
7. I pay attention to my rhythm and intonation
8. I pay attention to the conversation flow
9. I change my way of saying things according to the context
10. I take my time to express what I want to say.
11. I try to speak clearly and loudly to make myself heard
12. I make comprehension checks to ensure the listener understands what I want to say.
13. While speaking, I pay attention to the listener’s reaction to my speech.
14. I give examples if the listener doesn’t understand what I am saying.
15. I use words which are familiar to me.
16. I reduce the message and use simple expressions.
17. I try to make eye-contact when I am talking.
18. I use gestures and facial expressions if I can’t communicate how to express myself.
19. I ask other people to help when I can’t communicate well.
20. I give up when I can’t make myself understood
21. I abandon the execution of a verbal plan and just say some words when I don’t know what to say.

Part C: Interview Questions

1. Why do you feel it’s necessary to feel relaxed during the conversation and enjoy it?
2. Why is it essential for you to make sure that the listener has understood you?
3. Why do you feel essential to use simple expressions?
4. Why is it necessary to make eye contact, gestures, and facial expressions?
5. How do you abandon continuing a conversation?

Subject Language(s): English (eng)