26.3289, Jobs: Spanish; Applied Linguistics; Translation: California State University Channel Islands

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 14 17:33:18 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3289. Tue Jul 14 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3289, Jobs: Spanish; Applied Linguistics; Translation: California State University Channel Islands

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 13:33:13
From: Nitzia Castaniero [nitzia.castaniero at csuci.edu]
Subject: Spanish; Applied Linguistics; Translation: California State University Channel Islands, California, USA

University or Organization: California State University Channel Islands
Department: Spanish
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.csuci.edu/
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Spanish
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Translation

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

CSU Channel Islands invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor of Spanish. Preference will be given to candidates with professional experience and expertise in the area of Interpretation (court, medical, etc.). The program is seeking energetic candidates who can contribute to the growth of a dynamic Spanish program planning to add a Certificate in Interpretation to our existing B.A, Minor, and Certificate in Translation. Experience with student-centered communicative language teaching and the ability to reach a diverse, multi-ethnic student body are essential. We are seeking a candidate who, in addition to Interpretation, can effectively teach a variety of courses in our Spanish curriculum.

Responsibilities include: 1) Teaching lower and upper division courses in the Spanish program; 2) maintaining an active research agenda in the area of expertise; and 3) performing service to the program, the university, and the community. The successful candidate will also work with our vibrant base of Spanish majors and minors inside and outside the classroom, and collaborate with our program initiatives in a variety of areas.

Candidates must hold a Ph.D. in Spanish or a related field and have native or near-native fluency in Spanish and English. ABD will be considered, but Ph.D. must be completed by time of appointment. Candidates must possess a record of effective teaching using approaches consistent with current L2 pedagogy. Candidates must demonstrate research ability with a record of publications or projects nearing completion. Candidates should have a clear agenda of scholarship, a commitment to outcomes-based assessment, and a strong commitment to teamwork and interdisciplinary teaching and learning.

As a condition of employment, this position will require a background check. The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.

Professional experience and training in Spanish>English and English>Spanish Interpretation. The ability to teach a language in addition to Spanish. Experience in the use of innovative educational strategies and technologies.

For more information and to apply online please visit our website below. Application review begins on September 2, 2015.

Application Deadline: 02-Sep-2015 (Open until filled)

Web Address for Applications: https://www.csucifacultyjobs.com
Contact Information:
	Academic Personnel Analyst Nitzia Castaniero
	Email: nitzia.castaniero at csuci.edu
	Phone: 805-437-8543