26.3318, Calls: General Linguistics/Australia

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 16 17:30:51 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3318. Thu Jul 16 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3318, Calls: General Linguistics/Australia

Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnold at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 13:30:32
From: Rachel Hendery [r.hendery at uws.edu.au]
Subject: Australian Linguistics Society Meeting

Full Title: Australian Linguistics Society Meeting
Short Title: ALS

Date: 09-Dec-2015 - 11-Dec-2015
Location: Parramatta, Sydney, Australia
Contact Person: Caroline Jones
Meeting Email: als2015conf at gmail.com
Web Site: http://www.als.asn.au/conferences/uws-2015/

Call Deadline: 01-Sep-2015

Meeting Description:

The 46th annual conference of the Australian Linguistic Society will be hosted by the University of Western Sydney in Parramatta, Wednesday 9 December to Friday 11 December 2015.

Plenary Speakers:

- Professor Gregory Guy (New York University): ''Constraints, community, coherence: Do sociolects exist?''
- Professor Sabine Stoll (University of Zurich): ''Syntactic mixing across generations''

Workshops (During ALS):

Language variation and change – Australia 2 (LVC-A 2)
Organisers: Catherine Travis, Celeste Rodriguez Louro, Adam Schembri

Language and migration
Organisers: Ingrid Piller and Donna Butorac

Sociolinguistics of multilingualism in Aboriginal Australia
Organisers: Jill Vaughan and Ruth Singer

The expressive use of voice quality in Aboriginal languages
Organisers: John Mansfield and Nick Reid

WORKSHOPS (PRE-ALS):

>From home to school: Language practices of Indigenous children Organisers: Jane Simpson and Jill Wigglesworth

Learning Indigenous languages – can universities help? (2015) Organisers: Sophie Nicholls and Jane Simpson

Key Dates:

Tues 1 Sept – all abstracts due (for talks in workshops, regular talks, poster presentations)
Tues 8 Dec – pre-ALS workshops (UWS Parramatta City Campus)
Wed 9 Dec – ALS Day 1* (UWS Parramatta South Campus)
Thurs 10 Dec – ALS Day 2 (UWS Parramatta City Campus)
Fri 11 Dec – ALS Day 3 (UWS Parramatta City Campus)

*We are excited to announce that ALS Day 1 will be a co-located common day ''Confluence 2015'' with the meetings of Australasian Language Technology Association (ALTA), Australasian Document Computing Symposium (ADCS), and Australasian Music Psychology Society (AMPS). ALS delegates may attend talks at the other meetings on Wed 9 Dec free of charge.

Call for Papers:

The conference welcomes submissions for oral presentations and poster presentations on any topic within the fields of general linguistics, applied linguistics, and sociolinguistics. Oral presentations are 20 min presentation + 10 min question time. Poster presentations allow authors to display and explain their A0-sized poster during a dedicated poster session.

Abstract Submission Requirements for ALS 2015:

All abstracts – for workshops, talks, and posters – will be due 1 September 2015 and will be anonymously reviewed by the ALS Program Committee. Submit via the link at: http://www.als.asn.au/conferences/uws-2015/call-for-papers To submit for the pre-ALS workshop ''Learning Indigenous languages – can universities help (2015)'', please email your expression of interest to als2015conf at gmail.com

Preparing your abstract:

Each abstract must be a maximum of 1 A4 page of text (including title, but no author names or affiliations) plus 1 additional A4 page of examples, figures, references etc. Please prepare your abstract in Word (as a single .doc or .docx file) in Times New Roman 12 point font, with 2cm on all margins. The abstract must be anonymous. The abstract should not include any author names or affiliations. Be careful that name and email are not automatically embedded by your word processor.

Submitting your abstract:

Each abstract should be submitted online via the ALS EasyChair website, which is now open for submissions.

To submit an abstract, you will need to both: (1) upload your abstract as one anonymous Word document and (2) paste the title and main text of your abstract into a text box within EasyChair. As part of the EasyChair online submission form you will also be asked for author & affiliation information, your preferred presentation type (oral or poster presentation) and which workshop, if any, you would like to present within.

          http://multitree.org/