26.3383, Calls: Applied Ling, Computational Ling, Semantics, Syntax, Translation/Czech Republic

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 22 18:21:24 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3383. Wed Jul 22 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3383, Calls: Applied Ling, Computational Ling, Semantics, Syntax, Translation/Czech Republic

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 14:21:13
From: Rudolf Rosa [rosa at ufal.mff.cuni.cz]
Subject: Deep Machine Translation Workshop 2015

Full Title: Deep Machine Translation Workshop 2015
Short Title: DMTW-2015

Date: 03-Sep-2015 - 04-Sep-2015
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact Person: Jan Hajič
Meeting Email: hajic at ufal.mff.cuni.cz
Web Site: https://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/events/deep-machine-translation-workshop

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Translation

Call Deadline: 26-Jul-2015

Meeting Description:

We cordially invite you to take part in the first Deep Machine Translation Workshop, which will take place in Prague, Czech Republic, on 3-4 September 2015, organized by the Charles University in Prague (Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Institute of Formal and Applied Linguistics).

https://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/events/deep-machine-translation-workshop

This is the first workshop on ''Deep Machine Translation''. Its aim is to bring together researchers and students working on machine translation approaches and technology using ''deep understanding'' (not necessarily using Deep Neural Networks, as the name might suggest, but certainly not excluding them either). Adding ''more linguistics'' has long been considered as a possible way to boost quality of current, mainly (PB)SMT-based systems. However, there are many ways to do so, and it was felt a forum is needed where experience can be shared among people working on such systems.

The registration to the event has just been opened, and is free of charge.

We are also happy to announce the first invited speaker, Prof. Dr. Christian Chiarcos from Goethe University Frankfurt.

Final Call for Papers:

Deadline extended (25 July): Deep Machine Translation Workshop 2015

https://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/events/deep-machine-translation-workshop

We have just extended the deadline for paper submission to Saturday 25 July (23:59 AoE)!

Thus, you now have a few extra days if you have not managed to submit your papers yet -- or if you wish to submit more papers.

Of course, you can also use this time to revise and update your submission if you have already made one, as it may be that you have submitted it in a hurry or are not completely happy with it... The review process will not start until after the new deadline.

We also invite you to the following collocated events, which take place in the same building:

- YRRSDS, August 31 - September 1 (Workshop on Spoken Dialogue Systems for PhDs, PostDocs & New Researchers)
- SIGdial, September 2-4 (Meeting on Discourse and Dialogue)
- MTM, September 7-12 (Machine Translation Marathon)

DMTW 2015 is the first workshop on ''Deep Machine Translation''. Its aim is to bring together researchers and students working on machine translation approaches and technology using ''deep understanding'' (not necessarily using Deep Neural Networks, as the name might suggest, but certainly not excluding them either). Adding ''more linguistics'' has long been considered as a possible way to boost quality of current, mainly (PB)SMT-based systems. However, there are many ways to do so, and it was felt a forum is needed where experience can be shared among people working on such systems.

Moreover, we welcome submissions on any aspects of deep language analysis, generation and natural language understanding, even if the connection to machine translation might be indirect.

Finally we welcome submissions on query translation and other aspects of multilingual Question Answering (such as an NLP interface to an ''IT helpdesk'') and/or Cross-lingual Information Retrieval.

We would like to attract submissions also from running or past EU projects on MT (QT21, HiML, QTLeap, TraMOOC, MMT, Khresmoi, KConnect, ...) to share their experience about pursuing higher quality in MT - even if they do not use linguistic aspects and features directly.

An incomplete list of possible approaches employed in MT that are of interest to the workshop:

- Syntax or semantics
- Hybrid systems
- Deep linguistic representation of meaning / semantics, including semantic graphs, logical representation, temporal and spatial representation and grounding
- Joint linguistic and distributional modeling
- Graph-based meaning representation
- Co-reference, named entity recognition, or words sense disambiguation
- Multilingual question-answering and CLIR
- Evaluation

The maximum submission length is 8 pages (A4), plus two extra pages for references in a one-column format. Detailed instructions for authors are specified on https://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/events/deep-machine-translation-workshop#instructions

Papers will be published online, assigned an ISBN, and listed in the ACL Anthology.