26.3402, Diss: German; Psycholinguistics: Mirko Hanke: ' Strategies and Mechanisms for Language Production in Noise'

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 24 14:49:21 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3402. Fri Jul 24 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3402, Diss: German; Psycholinguistics: Mirko Hanke: ' Strategies and Mechanisms for Language Production in Noise'

Editor for this issue: Ashley Parker <ashley at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 10:47:48
From: Mirko Hanke [mirko.hanke at uni-oldenburg.de]

 Institution: Carl von Ossietzky-Universität Oldenburg, Germany
Program: Dr. phil.
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2014

Author: Mirko Hanke

Dissertation Title: Strategies and Mechanisms for Language Production in Noise

Dissertation URL:  http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:nbn:de:gbv:715-oops-20694

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics

Subject Language(s): German (deu)

Dissertation Director(s):
Cornelia Hamann
Robert J Hartsuiker
Esther Ruigendijk

Dissertation Abstract:

The work reported here investigated the effect of detrimental, noisy communication settings on the production of syntactically complex sentences. For the theory chapters I compared how different syntactic theories formalise structural complexity, and I discuss the relationship between a theory-based notion of complexity and psychological models for a processing mechanism. In the empirical chapters I report three experiments which employed different methods to look at some aspects of the language production process in noise. The studies did not yield unambiguous evidence for a systematic reduction of sentence complexity in noise, but the results show that the likelihood for making grammatical errors is increased. From the results I conclude that automatic processing of background noise can interfere with language production processes. This is the case if both types of processing overlap in their use of shared cognitive sub-processes.