26.3418, Qs: Translation Questionnaire on Amount Comparison

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 27 17:08:42 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3418. Mon Jul 27 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3418, Qs: Translation Questionnaire on Amount Comparison

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:08:11
From: Elizabeth Coppock [eecoppock at gmail.com]

Hello linguists!

I have a short text (17 sentences) that I would like to translate from English into as many languages as possible. The sentences are meant to elicit basic information about how amount comparison works (e.g. ''most'' and ''the most''). I'm especially interested in languages that have something like English ''the''. It should only take 15-20 minutes in straightforward cases. If you are or can put me in contact with a native speaker of a language other than English, Swedish, Norwegian, or Danish, especially if the language has definiteness-marking of some kind, I would be very grateful for your help! I promise to post a summary of the results.

Here is a link to the questionnaire:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1g-gRbffeGeDn1Xk6z2h5ndEU4SsTT8dATRvhBdyilxQ/viewform

Best,
Liz