26.2700, Qs: Master's Thesis Survey on an Internet Language Fad

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 1 18:51:31 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2700. Mon Jun 01 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2700, Qs: Master's Thesis Survey on an Internet Language Fad

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 14:51:17
From: Stephanie Walla [swalla at emich.edu]

Hello!

If you have a moment please consider participating in a Google Form survey.
The data from this study will be used towards my master's thesis and is one
part of larger exploration on language change and language fads.

Most language fads are in the form of new words, vowel removal ('text' becomes
'txt'), or acronyms, but recently the Internet has influenced a new way of
using an old connecting word: because. This new use is called ‘Because, X’ and
it has become so popular it was named the American Dialect Society’s word of
the year for 2013. An example of ‘Because, X’ would be the sentence, “I can’t
go to the party because, homework” instead of either, “I can’t go to the party
because I have homework,” or “I can’t go to the party because of my homework”.

The survey should take about 10-15 minutes to complete. Here is a link to
survey:
http://goo.gl/forms/dyfuLMtRUX

This survey is voluntary and you may end your participation at any time by
leaving the study. If you leave the study your responses will not be used in
the overall results.
Thank you for your participation!

Best,
Stephanie Walla