26.2806, Qs: Sociolinguistic Paraphrasing in Academia

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 8 18:14:49 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2806. Mon Jun 08 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2806, Qs: Sociolinguistic Paraphrasing in Academia

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 14:14:44
From: Mark Fletcher [mark.fletcherefl at gmail.com]
Subject: Sociolinguistic Paraphrasing in Academia

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone (depending on timezone),

I hope you are well and everything is moving forward for you. I know that many
of you are busy, but I was hoping that you might be able to help me out with
my studies. I am currently studying for my PhD in Applied Linguistics, more
specifically, Paraphrasing, Forensic Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, and
Plagiarism. I am investigating different structural patterns that are used
during paraphrasing. At the moment, I am over 2 years into my studies, and I
am now at the stage where I need to collect my data to analyse for my final
thesis/dissertation, which is where I was hoping you might be able to assist
me by completing a task.

In order to complete the task, all you need to do is click on the link below,
which will take you to SurveyMonkey.com. The first part of the task involves
reading a short paragraph and then paraphrasing it in Academic English, and
the second part of the task is a quick demographic survey. The average time to
complete both tasks appears to be between 15-25 minutes. I know it is a lot to
ask, but if you could find the time to complete this task, I would be truly
grateful. Additionally, if you could pass on the link to friends and
colleagues who are either English Teachers, or who have a degree or equivalent
in an English related field, then I would be extremely grateful.

Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5D7PH8C

Thank you in advance for your help in my research. For every 50 legitimate
are relevant to your current location.

If you have any questions regarding this research, or anything else, please do
not hesitate to contact me via the contact details at the end of the survey.
Thank you for your help.

Kindest regards,
Mark

                     Discipline of Linguistics