26.2864, Qs: Cultural Identity Changes while Studying Abroad

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 10 18:08:32 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-2864. Wed Jun 10 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.2864, Qs: Cultural Identity Changes while Studying Abroad

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 14:08:21
From: Rita Gonzalez [ritagcarballo at gmail.com]

Dear LINGUIST List Readers,

I am an MA Student from Mexico who is developing a thesis focused on the
cultural identity changes in college students who have participated in a study
abroad program. The students that will be part of my research are Mexicans
students learning French as a second language. In order to support my work I
need to analyze specialized studies related to that topic.

The specific aims of my study are, firstly, to analyze the patterns of social
and academic interaction during that period; secondly, to look at the
linguistic proficiency outcomes resulting from the stay abroad experience; and
finally, to explore students’ appreciation of intercultural perspectives based
on their individual experiences.

Unfortunately, in Mexico there is very little research into the effects of the
study abroad experience; therefore I would really appreciate if you could
refer me to any current existing literature concerning this topic.

Thank you in advance.

Rita G. Carballo
Universidad de Quintana Roo (UQROO)
Chetumal, Quintana Roo, México