26.3004, Calls: Anthropological Ling, General Ling, Lang Documentation, Socioling/Hong Kong

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 23 17:54:38 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3004. Tue Jun 23 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3004, Calls: Anthropological Ling, General Ling, Lang Documentation, Socioling/Hong Kong

Editor for this issue: Erin Arnold <earnold at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 13:54:25
From: Umberto Ansaldo [uansaldo at gmail.com]
Subject: Documentary Linguistics - Asian Perspectives

Full Title: Documentary Linguistics - Asian Perspectives
Short Title: DLAP-1

Date: 06-Apr-2016 - 09-Apr-2016
Location: Hong Kong, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Contact Person: Umberto Ansaldo
Meeting Email: uansaldo at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Documentation; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Aug-2015

Meeting Description:

The field of Language Documentation and Description (LDD) has been growing in recent years in Europe, the Americas, and Australia. It is, however, still in its early stages of development in the Asian region. The Department of Linguistics of The University of Hong Kong is deeply involved in the study, analysis and description of languages of East, South and Southeast Asia (ESSA). This includes larger, smaller and endangered languages, as well as contact languages.

With this conference we want to focus on a documentary approach to languages of the Asian region. We want to discuss and develop new perspectives for the description and documentation of Asian languages and uses of the resulting data and analyses. As part of our drive to develop documentary linguistics at HKU, we will host a 4-day event: the first two days will offer an intensive workshop in LDD training; the latter two days will be dedicated to a symposium on documentary linguistics.

Guest Speakers:

Mr. L.W, Kit, Founder of the Dimen/Dong Eco-workshop, China
Dr. L. Lim, Founder and director of linguisticminorities.hk

Venue: Hong Kong University Centennial Campus, Hong Kong

2nd Call for Papers:

We invite papers and/or posters on:

1) Documentation of minority languages of the ESSA region
2) Documentary and descriptive works of contact and endangered ecologies worldwide
3) Theoretical and empirical advances in LDD
4) Applied documentation: language support, revitalization, pedagogy, lexicography, app development etc.

Notification of acceptance: October 1, 2015

Organizing Committee:

U. Ansaldo (Chair)
P. Austin
S. Matthews