26.3061, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Belgium

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 29 14:55:02 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-3061. Mon Jun 29 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.3061, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Belgium

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:54:51
From: Dries Debackere [dries at detaalsector.be]
Subject: The Value of Language II

Full Title: The Value of Language II
Short Title: TVOLII

Date: 26-Nov-2015 - 26-Nov-2015
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Contact Person: Dries Debackere
Meeting Email: info at thevalueoflanguage.eu
Web Site: http://www.thevalueoflanguage.eu

Call Deadline: 30-Sep-2015

Meeting Description:

When buying a language product or service, a good price and a short delivery time is important, but buying the best language product or language service is a different matter. How can you get the best value for your money?

The second edition of the Value of Language (TVOLII) will be a platform for academia, business, government and private buyers to meet with vendors of language products and services around a central theme: How to get the best value for money when buying language products and services.

The Value of Language II will be held on Thursday 26 November 2015 in Brussels, Belgium.

The event will be organised by De Taalsector (The Language Industry) in collaboration with The Brussels Campus of the University of Leuven. This collaboration will ensure that the programme will present perspectives from both the industry and from academia.

Call for Contributions:

The aim of The Value of Language II is to provide a forum where knowledge and experience about the purchase of language products and services can be shared in the broadest sense.
The Value of Language II is open to contributions from both academia and industry. Contributions can deal with a wide variety of topics such as:

How do I buy a good translation with peace of mind?
Why should I hire an interpreter if I can crowdsource his job for free?
Does online language training really work?
How do I buy the right dictionary? (not too thick, not too thin)
How can I self-study Spanish?
Where can I find a certified translator?
Can I really dictate faster with voice recognition rather than with regular typing?
What are good language courses / holidays / internships for my child?
What language tests add value to my CV?
How reliable is software for style or grammar checking?
What are the different quality labels in the language sector worth?
What can I do with OCR?
Who can make my documentation more accessible in a plain language?
My translator used (no) machine translation. Is that normal?
My interpreter will not do remote interpretation. Is that normal?
How could my company benefit from a language policy?
What is a language audit?
Would my child, who cannot yet speak benefit from English lessons?
Our library wants to encourage multilingualism, what does the market offer?
My organisation produces miles of text every day but no one reads it. Help!

This list is nowhere near exhaustive. The event will give special preference to contributions that show how language products and services help create value for users and organisations. The deadline to propose a contribution is on Wednesday 30 September 2015.

How to Contribute:

Would you like to share your knowledge or experience on a particular aspect of purchasing or using a language product or service? We would like to hear from you. Please contact Dries Debackere at De Taalsector (The Language Industry) or send an email to info at thevalueoflanguage.eu. We will work with you to tailor your contribution to the conference, whether it be a presentation, demo, paper, workshop, panel discussion, poster or any other format.

More info soon on:

www.thevalueoflanguage.eu