26.1210, Internships: Netbase Solutions

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 4 00:18:09 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1210. Tue Mar 03 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1210, Internships: Netbase Solutions

Editor for this issue: Danuta  Allen <danuta at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 19:17:39
From: Masayo Iida [miida at netbase.com]
Subject: Internship in Computational Linguistics

University or Organization: Netbase Solutions
Department: Engineering
Web Address: http://www.netbase.com

Type of Work: NLP

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Duration: 01-Mar-2015 to 31-Dec-2015
Compensation: Paid Not specified
Internship Location: Mountain View, California, USA
Minimum Education Level: BA
The Netbase NLP team has a number of intern positions for our multilingual
program.  We welcome resumes from undergraduate or graduate student interns
who have native or near-native knowledge of one or more of the following
languages: Dutch, Polish, Thai, Arabic, Indonesian/Malay. In addition to the 5
languages listed above, we are also interested in exploring internships with
(near) native knowledge of other languages such as Turkish, Vietnamese,
Korean, Tagalog, Hindi, Swedish, Czech.  Candidates are expected to be
familiar with social media and to work comfortably with computers for building
lexicons and testing software. As we have two offices, one in Mountain View,
California, and one in Heidelberg, Germany, we welcome applications from both
US and Europe.

In addition to the language knowledge mentioned above, ideal candidates would
be trained in computational linguistics. Programming experience of any type,
including scripting languages, is a plus.
The main responsibility will be to help build computational lexicons and/or
rules for automated sentiment analysis under the supervision of our in-house
senior linguists. This is a great opportunity for interns who want to
contribute to a real-life software product in industry. The multilingual
program supports the extraction of consumer sentiment and public opinions
about brands and products from social-media texts in the above-mentioned
languages. We are a leading technology company in the social space that serves
Fortune 100 clients and already apply deep NLP to social-media contents in
English, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish
at an industrial scale.

Responsibilities:
- develop and maintain lexicons for sentiment extraction, with a special focus
on social media text;
- develop rules for identifying the relevant patterns for shallow parsing and
sentiment extraction;
- build and unit-test software in a collaborative environment, with
supervision from senior linguists;

Desirable Qualifications:
- BA or BSc in Computational Linguistics or a related field; advanced
undergraduate students can also be considered;
- native or near-native fluency in one of the above-mentioned languages
(polyglot a plus);
- good grasp of social media culture for that language;
- experience using a scripting language such as Python or Perl is a plus;
- data analysis skills and attention to details;
- authorization to work in Germany or the US (e.g. CPT).

How to Apply:
Apply by email to hr at netbase.com.

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:
	Dr. Masayo Iida
	Email: miida at netbase.com
	Phone: 650-417-6204