26.1264, Start: Fund Drive 2015

The LINGUIST List via LINGUIST linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 6 20:35:04 UTC 2015

LINGUIST List: Vol-26-1264. Fri Mar 06 2015. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 26.1264, Start: Fund Drive 2015

*************    LINGUIST List 2015 Fund Drive    *************

              http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Editor for this issue: Damir Cavar <damir at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:34:24
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Start: Fund Drive 2015

Dear Colleagues, Linguist List supporters, linguistics and language lovers,

It is March 6th and high time for snow and winter to disappear. At our
headquarters at Indiana University we fervently await the arrival of the new
season of the year – the Fund Drive Season. Please come and check our festive
Fund Drive web page:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Apart from the opportunity to donate, our Fund Drive site offers all kind of
entertainment. As every year, we have for you prizes to win, games to play,
stories to read, and songs to listen to– and maybe sing along with. So, visit
our site, contribute  with linguistic jokes, poems, and other works of art,
and generally enjoy the season for supporting LINGUIST List.

Why should you donate? The answer is – because only a part of our operational
costs are covered by our host institution.  The rest we have to earn through
advertising or receive from donations. We try to keep site advertising to a
minimum, though, as our administrative costs continue to rise, we have added a
few ads to take some of the financial burden off of subscribers.

This year our goal is to collect  $79,000.00 for our editors and the
programming support.  You are not donating for your own interest alone –
LINGUIST List is read worldwide, by professionals but also students and
language enthusiasts who otherwise would have much more limited access to
linguistic contents, especially for financial reasons.

LINGUIST List is and will remain free to the subscribers. Please support us to
continue our service.

This year is important for LINGUIST List. It is the first year at the new
location, at Indiana University. Apart from the beauty of the campus, we enjoy
in Bloomington an exceptionally rich linguistic environment – rich in terms of
colleague-linguists, language programs, languages spoken on the campus,  and
language resources. We envision that this rich linguistic environment will
nurture LINGUIST List and our associated projects, and result in improved and
enriched service to you. However, the relocation was a complex and
logistically challenging endeavor, followed by months of re-launching,
re-programming, and re-designing. Last year was draining for the LL
financially, and also difficult in terms of work and effort we had to invest
into the relocation. If you appreciate what we do please consider supporting
us financially this year again – we need it more than ever.

2015 is important for us for yet another reason. In December, LINGUIST List
will turn 25, quite an age for a mailing list. While at the University of
Western Australia, on Thursday, December 13th, 1990, Anthony Aristar sent a
message about the formation of LINGUIST to some colleagues. You can read the
message here:

http://linguistlist.org/issues/1/1-0.html

Helen Aristar-Dry and Anthony Aristar ended their message with this paragraph:

"Let us say in ending that making a list of this kind a success depends
crucially on initiating an ongoing dialogue between participants. Once this
dialogue has been properly begun, the list acquires a life of its own, and
little further effort is required to maintain its existence. To this end, we
earnestly ask you all to begin contributing, and aid therefore in the
continuance of LINGUIST."

They were more than right in that the list acquired a life of its own. It was
serving the linguistic community for almost 25 years now. Yet they were wrong
about the "little further effort" to maintain its existence. They are surely
very aware of that now. It requires a lot of effort by the team of student
editors  and programmers to provide a moderated mailing list with human
editing services and post-publishing support for corrections, changes, and
updates to posted information.  This human touch makes LL unique, efficient,
and reliable. It offers an interactive service with a team of dedicated
linguistics students, learning about the academic scene and the linguistics
profession, learning about running a list and a complex website, about posting
on social media platforms, organizing fund drives, and also doing linguistic
research. It has been a pleasure to have the LINGUIST List crew around, to be
part of their efforts.

We are glad that LINGUIST is reaching silver status now. With technological
progress in the last decades, the LINGUIST List has evolved into much more
than a mailing list, and it will continue to evolve in order to offer what our
supporters need. We hope to lay the groundwork for reaching gold in the next
25 years. The fund drive is necessary to help the LINGUIST List Team to
achieve this goal. Please help us with this effort! Please donate!

Malgosia and Damir